[comp.dcom.telecom] *-Prefixed Calls on Cellular Phones: Uniformly Coded? Free?

mis@uunet.uu.net> (05/08/91)

I am curious (yellow) about * prefixed calls on cellular phones.
Has anyone got a list?  Are they uniform across service providers? (fat
chance) ... I noticed that some of the California providers have
traffic information lines, etc.

Doug Reuben recently pointed out that although *611 is free, one
*might* be charged a roaming charge, which is then removed when one
complains. Are all of the *-prefixed calls free (and supposed to be
free of roaming charges?)

Does anyone know how these are implemented?  When they translate to a
real phone number, is there any way of determining the translation?

When I was recently in New Orleans, Bell South Mobility advertised
that 911 was "always free."  (It was unclear whether roamers would be
charged a roaming fee.) Is this typical practice?

[Moderator's Note:  In many large urban areas 911 won't work correctly
from cell phones -- at least the dispatchers cannot get a reading on
your location. Here in Chicago, *999 gets the Minutemen, a division of
the Illinois State Police who handle expressway and interstate highway
duty. 911 gets a recording saying to call the operator to report the
emergency. And 911 is never 'free' ... to the caller, yes, but the
charges are always reversed to the emergency agency, at least from
landline phones. I assume cellular is the same where 911 is available,
such as New Orleans.   PAT]

irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu (05/14/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #347, Mark Seiden writes:

> I am curious (yellow) about * prefixed calls on cellular phones.
> Has anyone got a list?  Are they uniform across service providers? (fat
> chance) ... I noticed that some of the California providers have
> traffic information lines, etc.

> [Moderator's Note:  In many large urban areas 911 won't work correctly
> from cell phones -- at least the dispatchers cannot get a reading on
> your location. Here in Chicago, *999 gets the Minutemen, a division of
> the Illinois State Police who handle expressway and interstate highway
> duty. 911 gets a recording saying to call the operator to report the
> emergency. And 911 is never 'free' ... to the caller, yes, but the
> charges are always reversed to the emergency agency, at least from
> landline phones. I assume cellular is the same where 911 is available,
> such as New Orleans.   PAT]

Along the Interstates in North Carolina (in Cellular Areas) are signs
that tell Cellular users to dial *HP for the Highway Patrol.

Plus in some city (I can't remember which now), there was a radio
station that advertised it's Cellular Traffic number as *WXXX (or
what-ever its call letters were), this rang at the main switchboard
for the radio station (used to report accidents and traffic jams).  It
was free from all Cellular telephones, don't know about roamers.  Not
surprisingly, the radio station advertised the two Cellular carriers
constantly (I assume in trade for this *-number).

Tim Irvin

David E. Sheafer <nin15b0b@stan.merrimack.edu> (05/14/91)

In article <telecom11.357.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, irvin@northstar105.
dartmouth.edu writes:

> In TELECOM Digest V11 #347, Mark Seiden writes:

>> I am curious (yellow) about * prefixed calls on cellular phones.
>> Has anyone got a list?  Are they uniform across service providers? (fat
>> chance) ... I noticed that some of the California providers have
>> traffic information lines, etc.

  These are the * prefixed numbers for NYNEX Mobile in New England
(MA,RI and southern NH) and the appropriate charges:

 *18  follow-me-roaming activation       No Charge #
 *19  Follow-me-roaming deactivation     No Charge
 *33  Celtics Hotline                    Usage Rates
 *37  StockQuote                         Usage Rates
 *44  WVBF-FM Call to Report Traffic     No Charge
 *63  WPRO-AM Call to Report Trafffic
      in Rhode island                    No Charge
 *64  (*NH) NH State Police              No Charge
 *68  WRKO-AM Talkline                   No Charge
 *76  WBSM-AM New Bedford Traffic
      Conditions                         No Charge
 *77  (*SP) MA State Police              No Charge
 *82  AAA Emergency                      Usage Rates
 *88  Time                               Usage Rates
 *92  WPRO-FM Call to Report traffic
      in Rhode Island                    No Charge
 *99  Weather                            Usage Rates
 *850 WHDH-AM Call to Report Traffic
      or News                            No Charge
  411 Directory Assistance               Usage Rates ##
  611 Nynex Customer Service             No Charge

 # In certain instances the host cellular service carrier may charge a daily
   activation fee for Follow-Me-Roaming activation.

## Plus New England Telephone Directory Assistance and Transport Charges.

Listed features and Charges are provided fo NYNEX Mobile Access Numbers.

David E. Sheafer

internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu   or  uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b
GEnie:     D.SHEAFER      Cleveland Freenet:    ap345

Macy Hallock <macy@fmsys.uucp> (05/15/91)

>> I am curious (yellow) about * prefixed calls on cellular phones.
>> Has anyone got a list?  Are they uniform across service providers?

OK, I'll throw in my $.02 here:

In Cleveland/Akron Ohio:

1-800-525-5555 is the Ohio State Highway Patrol emergency reporting
line.  You can report any traffic emergency, DWI driver, etc. to it.
No cellular company in Ohio is supposed to be charging airtime for its
use.  I've used it several time, it seems to ring into a single
dispatch for the state and messages are relayed to the correct
authority by the state computer or radio nets.  This number is setup
expressly for cellphone use ... and the dispatchers know it.  Seems to
be a well run, well trained arrangment.

This number was setup before most cell carriers were able to agree on
how to setup shortcut dialing ... and before 911 was widely installed.

911 rings to 911 dispatch in most areas.  Very uneven info about
charging for airtime.  This state has a 911 law that says calls to 911
are not chargable to the caller.  In some, but not all, cellular
areas, dialing *911 is the same as dialing 911.

Other * numbers:

GTE Mobilnet initiated a uniform set of * service codes a couple of
years ago and pushed the industry very hard for standardization on
their scheme.  So we have *70, *71, *71, *18 and others for control of
features here.  Mobilnet does charge for the airtime (.5 minute) when
these features are invoked.

*111 is tech service, *611 is billing/customer disservice, *411 is
info (chargable airtime on this) and *711 is undefined for the moment
(may become roamer service, I'm told)

My technical sources at Mobilnet tell me that the * services are used
for internal service codes (like *70) or speed dial numbers to outside
lines (like *611).  Billing is done on all calls by the switch, and
the billing dept. prices the calls according to current company
policies.  I'm told that ANY number can be setup as a speed call or
redirected.  This is used to block 900 and 976 calls, and has been
used to block certain other problem numbers in the past.  The Motolola
EMX's they use have a pretty decent set up for translations.

Moblinet, like many other cell carriers, has made agreements with
local radio stations for special numbers for traffic reporting (dial
*TV8, etc).  These are all billed/not billed according to the
agreement made for that service.  Presumably I could cut a deal with
Mobilnet for *MACY to call me ... and even be a free/no airtime
call ... if I worked out some type of arrangement with them.

I have asked my sources at Mobilnet for more information on the
standards they are putting into place in the near future concerning
enhanced type cellular services.  I'm told their recent change from
Motorola to AT&T as a primary switch vendor was partially due to the
better support of special service features of the AT&T product.  (I
wonder if revenue enhancement is coming to Mobilnet....)  More on this
when I get it.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. N8OBG  216-725-4764 Home
macy@fmsystm.UUCP   macy@NCoast.ORG   uunet!aablue!fmsystem!macy
Please use only these three reply addresses.