[comp.dcom.telecom] Adding a Modem to System 85 Set

Jeff Wasilko <jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu> (05/04/91)

I just had my phone switched from an 'analog' (standard 2500 set) to a
AT&T ten button 'digital' set on our System 85 to gain an additional
two lines.

In doing that, I lost the ability to use a modem on the line. Is there
any way to use a standard telephone device (like a modem or answering
machine) with this phone? It's got a second eight-pin RJ- jack on the
back marked 'OTHER'...

The identifiying numbers on the phone are: RF90IL-19, Z7403D01B and
845P11. Any source for a device to add a standard RJ-11 device to this
phone would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Wasilko, RIT Communications

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (05/10/91)

In article <telecom11.331.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu
(Jeff Wasilko) writes:

> I just had my phone switched from an 'analog' (standard 2500 set) to a
> AT&T ten button 'digital' set on our System 85 to gain an additional
> two lines.

> In doing that, I lost the ability to use a modem on the line. Is there
> any way to use a standard telephone device (like a modem or answering
> machine) with this phone? It's got a second eight-pin RJ- jack on the
> back marked 'OTHER'...

No, there isn't any way to connect a modem, but there shouldn't be any
need to.  If you've got a digital station line from a System 85 PBX,
replace your digital voice terminal with one that has a data and voice
capability.  It won't give you an RJ-11 jack; it will give you an
RS-232 interface.  You connect that to your data terminal equipment
(or computer) and you get connectivity at speeds up to 9600 bps
through the PBX to other digital terminals.  If your PBX has a modem
pool, it will also allow you to dial outbound calls, and will insert a
modem from its pool if your call goes out to an analog data station.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

Mike.Sheridan@uunet.uu.net> (05/12/91)

Jeff, it is not possiable to add a modem to your new set. The "other"
jack is for add on equipment such as a speaker phone (I have one of
those sets in my office and I work on Sys 85).  In order to use your
digital phone line, you would need a data module on your set AND the
other end!!!  Then you would use Sys 85 to tranmit in its own language
(digital) between the two.

Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.13 r.5
 [200:5010/666@metronet] DRBBS   (200:5010/666.0)

David Ptasnik <davep@u.washington.edu> (05/15/91)

> Jeff, it is not possiable to add a modem to your new set. The "other"
> jack is for add on equipment such as a speaker phone (I have one of
> those sets in my office and I work on Sys 85).  In order to use your
> digital phone line, you would need a data module on your set AND the
> other end!!!  Then you would use Sys 85 to tranmit in its own language
> (digital) between the two.

I think you'll find that there is a work-around to this problem.  One
of the things that can be plugged into the "other" jack (at least on
the analog sets) is a General Purpose Adapter.  You can plug in a
modem (certainly up to 2400 baud), a fax machine, any single line type
device, into the GPA (it has a standard RJ-14 receptacle).  The GPA
has a three position switch on the front: Basic (grabs on outgoing
line when the single line device goes off hook), Auto (in conjunction
with programming, this sends ring voltage to the single line outlet
and allows faxes, answering machines and modems to answer calls), and
Join (interrupts an existing voice call and bridges the call to the
single line outlet on the GPA).

Thus you can have data connectivity thru the system 85 using a modem,
but not directly from an RS-232 port on your PC.  The system 85 treats
the modem transmission just like a voice, converting it into it's own
language for transmission through the system, and returning your voice
or modem transmission to it's original form at the destination of the
call (another telephone on the system, or a line port going out of the
system).  It is possible on the Merlin( the system 85's smaller
half-brother) to set the phone up for simultaneous voice and data
calls, establishing two talk paths to the phone.  I forget off the top
of my head if the 85 can do this as well.

davep@u.washington.edu