[comp.dcom.telecom] *-Prefixed Calls on Cellular Phones

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (05/13/91)

Hello again,

Recently, Mark Seiden posted a meesage about "*" calls from Cellular
phones.

He noted:

> I am curious (yellow) about * prefixed calls on cellular phones.
> Has anyone got a list?  Are they uniform across service providers? (fat
> chance) ... I noticed that some of the California providers have
> traffic information lines, etc.

> Doug Reuben recently pointed out that although *611 is free, one
> *might* be charged a roaming charge, which is then removed when one
> complains. Are all of the *-prefixed calls free (and supposed to be
> free of roaming charges?)

I *think* the case I was referring to was with Vanguard/Cell One of
Eastern PA. As usual, no doubt, I failed to make things clear. (Sorry,
Mark).

Vanguard/Cell One does NOT assess any airtime charges nor any roamer
($3/day) charges on calls to *611. The problem was between Metro
Mobile/CT and Vanguard.  Apparently, they never got their billing
settled, and Metro read the "tapes" incorrectly. I'm not sure of the
method used to encode calls on billing tapes which are sent from one
cell co. to another, but what I was told by Metro (and who knows how
accurate THEY are?) was that the "*611" call was tagged by Vanguard as
"Free", yet Metro didn't recognize this. Metro's computer (or it's
billing company's computer) didn't see any *airtime* charges, but
figured that since a call was placed in the Vanguard system, I should
be assesed a daily charge, since all Metro/CT customers are assesed
daily charges while in the Vanguard system.

After I called about this, Metro, as usual, tried their usual line
"you roam, you pay" (I'm sure they have this phrase inscribed in Latin
over their terminals or something.) After the usual series of
explanations, I spoke to the Roam coordinator, who then called the
Vanguard coordinator, and they corrected the problem about two months
later. It is no longer a problem.

So ... currently, I know of no system, A or B, that charges either
airtime or roam charges *intentionally*. You may, of course, have such
charges appear on your bill. Rather than take YOUR cell co.'s word for
it, call the company in which you had roamed, and ask them what their
policy is. If they assure you that they do not charge for *611 calls,
then tell your home system about it, and hopefully you won't have to
worry about such erroneous billings again, at least not from the
specific systems in question.

> Does anyone know how these are implemented?  When they translate to a
> real phone number, is there any way of determining the translation?

Generally, yeah, they do go to a real phone number, usually the same
thing as their cusotmer service number. So in the case of CT, *611 on
Metro Highbill will get you the same thing as dialing (800) 346-0508.
Dialing *611 from GTE/SF will get you the same thing as (800)
366-5665, etc.

You should also note that USUALLY 611 is like *611, ie, they do the
same thing. Some companies allow both, some do not. Thus, in
Connecticut, you can use *611 to call cusotmer service on Metro.
However, if you roam into the NY system, *611 will NOT work, and you
need to use 611. I suspect they do this to avoid problems with calls
near cell boundaries, as the two systems "bleed" into each other a
lot, especially along Long Island Sound.

SNET in CT is weird: In Southwestern CT, 611 gets SNET repair, while
*611 gets SNET Mobile; eslewhere (like Harftord), they both get SNET
Mobile, and recently 611 was just plain blocked. No charges for
either, though.

(BTW, the Metro One/NY 611 number is new. I dunno how Metro Mobile
will "react" to it ... it would be interesting to see if they bill
airtime for it. The Metro 611 system is also set up well -- automated
roam info, custom calling features, etc. Very well done. Previously,
NY had *no* airtime-free customer service number -- you had to call
the 800 number, and when the bill came get the charges removed. Pretty
pathetic ... this new system is a great improvement.)

So basically, 611/*611 calls are free.

> When I was recently in New Orleans, Bell South Mobility advertised
> that 911 was "always free."  (It was unclear whether roamers would be
> charged a roaming fee.) Is this typical practice?

Seems so. I've never been in a system where it wasn't. Sometimes you
need to dial *911, but in any case, it has always been free.

> [Moderator's Note:  In many large urban areas 911 won't work correctly
> from cell phones -- at least the dispatchers cannot get a reading on
> your location. Here in Chicago, *999 gets the Minutemen, a division of
> the Illinois State Police who handle expressway and interstate highway
> duty. ...  ]

Many similar implementations elsewhere: for example, in Mass, it is
"*MSP", which is a free call. (I think *33 also works, or used to,
from Cell One phones.)

Although everything other than 611/911 is not standardized, GENERALLY,
*711/711 is a free call. It is either used for roamer info (a recorded
message as in the case of Metro Mobile), or to "tag" your phone at the
switchroom in order to help diagnose a problem which a customer
reports.  (Metro uses this for both, actually, although I think they
can use *611 as well ... I'm not sure, but I don't see any reason why
they can't "tag" any call.)

But it is not always free. US Cellular/Poughkeepsie uses *711 (or
perhaps *511, see below) as their "Infoline" number. US Cell also
"bleeds" into Western Connecticut, around the Cornwall area. (Near the
NY line). If your phone shows "home", ie, you are using Metro, and you
dial *711, you may instead get the US Cell system, and a nice fat $3
daily charge and a $.90 cent per minute charge for what you thought
was a free call. So you have to be careful in situations like this.

*511 is used in a FEW systems to directly call the roam port for free.
Instead of calling XXX-XXXX and paying just to have the port answer
with a dial tone, using *511 will allow you to call a roamer (or any
customer) in the system and pay only when the party answers. But
again, this is by no means universally adopted, and many systems will
use this for "Info" services which you will pay for. (US
Cell/Poughkeepsie may use *511 instead of *711..it has been a while
sine this has happened.)

*111 is a free call in GTE Mobilnet/SF, and (I think) in their other
CA systems as well. It allows you to call "Technical Repair" directly
to report a technical problem and bypass their endless wait for *611
customer service.

Basically, 611/*611 is the only "safe" number to call, and even then
there can be billing irregularities between systems which will result
in false charges. This is one of the main reasons I roam on the "B"
carriers, which RARELY, if ever, have such problems. (I'm not sure if
it will be posted because it was entirely too long, but I submitted a
post on California and "A" roaming in general, and the above is only
PART of the problem which I attempted to discuss in my longer post).

All other "*" numbers may incur a charge. Check BEFORE you call to see
what the charges will be. *INFO or *22 or *MAP or whatever are almost
ALWAYS charged. Be careful of slogans that say "Call *MAP to get help
anywhere in the Bay Area. This call is free, and you will be billed
only for the actual airtime you use." (Call 800-366-5665, GTE/SF, and
wait a while. You should hear this if they are busy.) In my book,
"free" = no charge at all. I guess GTE sees it differently.

Finally, make sure to check your bill. There may be problems in
billing which result in charges that shouldn't be there. Usually,
mobile companies are glad that you point these out to them (GTE always
is; Metro, well, what can I say? :) ) I was once assesed a $3/day
roamimg charge for calls in the New York system on my bill. This
amounted to over $25. Metro took it off without any problem, but since
there isn't SUPPOSED to be a charge for CT customers in NY, I usually
ignore the "NYC Roaming" section of my bill.

I've got other non-free codes for Mass, NH, CT, RI, NY, NJ, DE, MD,
DC, VA, PA, CA and NV systems, but rather than submit another monster
post, and since this is long enough, I'll leave that for some other
time.

Hope this helped ...

Doug	dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu  //  dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (05/15/91)

> Plus in some city (I can't remember which now), there was a radio
> station that advertised it's Cellular Traffic number as *WXXX (or
> what-ever its call letters were), this rang at the main switchboard
> for the radio station (used to report accidents and traffic jams).  It
> was free from all Cellular telephones, don't know about roamers.  Not
> surprisingly, the radio station advertised the two Cellular carriers
> constantly (I assume in trade for this *-number).

Around here (Bell Cellular and Cantel territory) the radio stations
tell you to dial #nnn where nnn is their frequency (or some
variation).  So Toronto station CBL at 740 AM tells you to dial #740,
while CHFI at 98.1 FM has #981.  I had assumed this was some sort of
standard.  No so ?  These calls are not free.

Tony Harminc

David Lemson <lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (05/16/91)

TONY@mcgill1.bitnet (Tony Harminc) writes:

>> Plus in some city (I can't remember which now), there was a radio
>> station that advertised it's Cellular Traffic number as *WXXX (or
>> what-ever its call letters were), this rang at the main switchboard
>> for the radio station (used to report accidents and traffic jams).  It
>> was free from all Cellular telephones, don't know about roamers.  Not
>> variation).  So Toronto station CBL at 740 AM tells you to dial #740,
>  while CHFI at 98.1 FM has #981.  I had assumed this was some sort of
>stand ard.  No so ?  These calls are not free.

Champaign-Urbana has one station , WLRW 94.5 FM with a free dial-in
("only from Ameritech" (the wireline carrier) phones) as *945.

David Lemson   University of Illinois Computing Services Consultant
Internet : lemson@uiuc.edu         UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson