[comp.dcom.telecom] AOS Regulation

Gordon Burditt <gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org> (05/07/91)

 From a Southwestern Bell bill insert (capitalization mine; theirs was
all caps):

A new law that protects your rights as a telephone customer was
recently signed by President Bush.

The "Telephone Operator Consumer Services Improvement Act" is the
Federal Government's response to customer complaints about the
practices of some companies that provide operator services.

For example, this law ensures that the company handling an
operator-assisted, long-distance call is identified twice before a
customer incurs any charges.  Previously, there was no Federal law
requiring identification of the company.

When you dial a Southwestern Bell telephone operator to place a
long-distance call, you may hear a mechanized voice state the company
name.  An operator will then come on the line to assist you.

Gordon L. Burditt
sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

William Clare Stewart <wcs@erebus.att.com> (05/16/91)

In article <telecom11.340.8@eecs.nwu.edu> gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org
(Gordon Burditt) writes:

> A new law that protects your rights as a telephone customer was
> recently signed by President Bush.
> The "Telephone Operator Consumer Services Improvement Act" is the
> Federal Government's response to customer complaints about the
> practices of some companies that provide operator services.

Did the blurb have any references to the bill number?  I'm always
skeptical of things that say President Bush is trying to protect my
rights :-)

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs
AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ

"Michael H. Riddle" <riddle@hoss.unl.edu> (05/17/91)

In <telecom11.364.5@eecs.nwu.edu> wcs@erebus.att.com (William Clare
Stewart) writes:

> In article <telecom11.340.8@eecs.nwu.edu> gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org
> (Gordon Burditt) writes:

>> A new law that protects your rights as a telephone customer was
>> recently signed by President Bush.
>> The "Telephone Operator Consumer Services Improvement Act" is the
>> Federal Government's response to customer complaints about the
>> practices of some companies that provide operator services.

> Did the blurb have any references to the bill number?  I'm always
> skeptical of things that say President Bush is trying to protect my
> rights :-)

This was discussed in FCC Docket 90-313, which was initiated before
and therefore modified by the Telephone Operator Consumer Services
Improvement Act of 1990.  The Final Notice of Proposed Rule Making
appeared in the Digest in March and would be in the archives.  If my
memory is right, the actual Public Law and/or text of the Bill
involved is there as well.

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA