[comp.dcom.telecom] Cheap Cellular Phones

MJK2660@ritvm.bitnet (10/25/89)

In the Rochester NY area there have been several vendors selling
cellular car phones in the $90 price range. Part of the agreement is
that you subscribe to a particular cellular service for 12 months. The
rates have just been reduced to $10/month and 17.5 to 25 cents a
minute for local (several county area) airtime. I contacted one of the
vendors and they do receive a "kickback" from the cellular company but
I don't know how much it is.  With some of the tales I hear about
other areas (75 cents a minute!!) I think we are very fortunate here.

tel@hound.att.com (Thomas E Lowe) (10/27/89)

I have seen ads here in NJ for Novatel Car phones for 88 dollars.
Has anyone out there had any experience with Novetel phones?

I'm sure there are very few fancy features in this model, but how
about the quality?  Is the range as good as more expensive models?
How about sound quality and reliability?

The company offering this deal is Jersey Cellular.  Has anyone in NJ
had experience with this outfit?

Thanks!

Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A
Crawfords Corner Road,  Holmdel, NJ  07733
(R) UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T  (keep them lawyers happy!!)

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (10/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0477m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, tel@hound.att.com
(Thomas E Lowe) writes:

> I have seen ads here in NJ for Novatel Car phones for 88 dollars.
> Has anyone out there had any experience with Novetel phones?

> I'm sure there are very few fancy features in this model, but how
> about the quality?  Is the range as good as more expensive models?
> How about sound quality and reliability?

> The company offering this deal is Jersey Cellular.  Has anyone in NJ
> had experience with this outfit?

I have been driving around NJ with a Novatel cellular phone since
1986.  It has never required maintenance, and works pretty well all
over the state.  Yes, there are a few "dead spots" -- mostly in the
less-travelled areas and in the "hill country" of western Morris and
northern Somerset counties.

Novatel makes a large product line.  The model 1260 (which I have) is
a 3-watt unit (the max allowed) and is no-longer manufactured.

Remember that the company who sells and installs your mobile phone
gets to activate your service with Cellular One, or Metro One, or
Bell Atlantic or Nynex (depending upon where you live).   They get
a piece of the action for every minute of air time you use.  Their
loss-leader price usually requires that _they_ activate your
service, and that you keep it for some minimum period.  They make
back on your air time what they probably lose selling it at that
price.  They also have to make a monthly quota of new service
activations, to keep their service reseller status.  The deal is
probably not bad, all things considered.  Back in '86 they sold for
about $1,500 plus installation!

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/29/89)

(Thomas E Lowe) writes:

> I have seen ads here in NJ for Novatel Car phones for 88 dollars.
> Has anyone out there had any experience with Novetel phones?

A friend was trying out one of their handhelds. He brought it by and
we did an informal comparison with my GE Mini (made by Mitsubishi),
also a handheld. The audio quality was terrible; the voice was almost
unintelligible because of a weird peak in the audio spectrum. In
places where my GE was solid, the Novatel was experiencing severe fade
on the same system. It's possible that it was, for some reason,
working a different cell, but overall the performance was unimpressive
and it certainly didn't hold a candle to the GE.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

tel@cdsdb1.att.com (Thomas E Lowe) (11/09/89)

I recently posted requests for people having experience with "Cheap
Cellular Phones" from Jersey Cellular.  I received one reply which is
below.

 From jgy@hrmso.att.com Wed Nov  1 09:34 EST 1989
 To: hound!tel
 Subject: re: jersey cellular (cheep phones)

Tom,

I bought the $288, NEC 3700 at jersey cellar yesterday and thought I'd
give you a few comments;

The total bill was $437; Price does not include installation (75-100)
or an antenna (50-100).

Rates went up at 4:30pm yesterday (right after I got mine), the
selection of plans were:

"Advantage": $29 per month AND 55 cents per minute PEAK, 35 NON-PEAK
"Alternate Heavy usage": $49 per month AND 40 cents per minute PEAK &
NON-PEAK "Alternate Off Peak": $15 per month AND 75 cents per minute
PEAK, 25 NON-PEAK

PEAK hours are 0700 - 2100 (yuck!)

They talked me into the advantage plan, on reflection the $14
difference would pay for 70 minutes of peak calling ( 1400 / ( 75 - 55 ) ).
You can change plans for $10.00

Finally, if you decide to get a phone from them consider the following
offer:

If I give them your name as a referral when you sign up they will give
me a $50.00 credit to my account, If you want to do this I'll give you
$25.00, fair ?

Once signed up you'll have the same opportunity of course.

John Young

p.s.
They said installation would take 45 minutes, it took an little over 1 hour.

Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A
Crawfords Corner Road,  Holmdel, NJ  07733
(R) UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T  (keep them lawyers happy!!)

drmath@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> (05/17/91)

Perhaps this has been discussed in another thread (I don't recall):

Let's say the local stereo store has a "deal" where you get a cellular
phone for $49.95 if you agree to a one-year service commitment with
some specified carrier. Obviously, to re-program the phone yourself
would be breaking the contract. Do they have recourse in this case?

Since the phone has been bought and paid for, it is not being rented
or leased, so it seems unlikely that they could come and take it from
you ... but they could theoretically "blacklist" your ESN. Another
example: you buy the phone, they activate it with their carrier, you
sign the contract stating that you will keep that carrier for one
year.  What if they give you an "A" carrier and you independently sign
up for a "B" carrier (or vice-versa), and simply don't use the carrier
that they gave you? The phone is still activated according to the
contract, right? You're still using the carrier of their choice,
right?

The last time Radio Shack ran this sort of "deal", the fine print in
their ad stated that this deal was not available in California and one
or two other states where such deals requiring activation have been
made illegal. Cute.

Also, is a repository of programming instructions being accumulated
somewhere in the Archives? If I can get away with one of the above
scenarios, I might just get myself a cell phone!

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (05/18/91)

 ...It seems William Shakespeare knew more about computers than historians
have yet discovered:

"Life is a tale,
 Told by an idiot..."

(a medieval term for a computer)

"Full of sound..."

(monotone beeps)

"And fury."

(the frustration you feel when a computer does what you tell it to, not
what you WANT it to do!)

 ...this gives pause when you think that Julius Ceasar had the raw
materials for a cellular phone, but lacked only the manufacturing
processes for sand (silicon).  What would the Roman Empire have been
like if Caesar had a cellular phone on his chariot?