[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phones on Planes

Chris Schmandt <geek@media-lab.media.mit.edu.media.mit.edu> (05/14/91)

Recently I've gotten rather fond of placing calls while sitting on the
plane at the gate.  Good for last minute things (esp. if you can board
early and try to get some work done) and getting arrival time messages
out that might actually be correct!  (also much cheaper and clearer
than Airfone)

Knowing about the dangers associated with generating RF while flying
(see recent discussion here) I first when up to the cockpit and spoke
with the crew, who said "it's really not problem while we're on the
ground but we prefer that you don't use the phone once we push back".
This seemed very reasonable to me.

Then on a recent flight I was told by a flight attendant that I
couldn't use my phone (on the ground, at the gate).  I explained the
above, but said that the captain was the boss and I'd wait while she
went to ask him.  She came back many minutes later (plane had already
started to taxi) and told me they looked it up in a rule book and that
I could not use my phone on the plane at all.

Now, I suspect that there wasn't a listed reg, or they didn't have it,
and they just stalled me until it wasn't an issue.  But, being an
(occasionally) law abiding citizen, I'm curious if anyone knows the
real story?

chris

PS: In response to the recent area code request, if someone has an
up to date file, or version of the areacode scripts in the archives,
could they update the archives (on lcs.mit.edu...) thanks.

[Moderator's Note: The issue just previous to this discussed this in
some detail -- sorry I did not have your message in time to include
with those.  Apparently the main problem is that once in the air, the
use of a cell phone causes lots of ground sites to be triggered all at
the same time, causing some confusion and congestion for the cellular
carrier. The old theory of radios causing interference to the
electronic equipment on the aircraft does not really carry a lot of
weight these days, one correspondent noted. On the ground, there
should be no problems at all.  PAT]

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (05/16/91)

This discussion has come up before; dunno why it keeps coming up over
and over again without the Moderator referring people to the previous
go-round.  Anyway, what I understand is:

1. in a private aircraft, under FAA rules, the pilot in command
determines what electronic devices may be used.  Thus you ask
permission of him (or yourself, as appropriate).

2. in a commercial aircraft, such as an airliner, again, under FAA
rules,the airline sets the policy, and the pilot is generally not
permitted to override that policy.  Most airlines have a policy
prohibiting all RF-radiating devices such as walkies, cellphones, etc.
Some have will grant exceptions to that policy if the device is
certified by the airline to not cause interference; after that point
it's up to the pilot.

3. The FCC (different agency) prohibits the use of cellphones
(explicitly cellphones) in flight because of the potential for
multicell interference.

So my understanding is: you might as well pack your cellphone when
travelling on a commercial carrier, unless they're fudging the rules
and letting you use it on the ramp, and you shouldn't use it once
you're in the air no matter what kind of transportation you're using.

Brian

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> (05/19/91)

In article <telecom11.365.5@eecs.nwu.edu> of comp.dcom.telecom, Brian
Kantor <brian@ucsd.edu> writes:

> permitted to override that policy.  Most airlines have a policy
> prohibiting all RF-radiating devices such as walkies, cellphones, etc.

There is a second consideration that prohibites specifically
walkie-talkies, cellphones etc. in carry-on luggage: they are
considered potential helps for terrorists coordinating a hijacking.
Therefore, most airlines prohibit the carry-on of ANY handheld
communications equipment, even toy "walkie-talkies" that are connected
with wires.

You can bring these devices onboard but they have to be in checked luggage.