[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI "Follow Me" 800 Service

seanwilliams@attmail.com (05/18/91)

After reading about MCI's "Follow Me" 800 service several times in the
Digest the past few weeks, I decided to call MCI to see what it was
all about.

I was disappointed to find out it's really nothing at all too special.
Basically, the representative said all you have to do is call your
Personal 800 number.  Instead of entering your "security code", just
wait for the operator to come on.  Tell the operator what number you
would like to forward your 800 number to, and the operator will
immediately make the changes.  Every time you do this, you will be
charged $1.00 (but of course, you qualify for MCI's 2% volume discount
when your bill reaches or exceeds $100.00 during one billing cycle.)

Sean E. Williams			  | seanwilliams@attmail.com
Spectrum Telecommunications		  | "I own Spectrum, so our
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227	  | opinions are very similar"
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA		  | voicemail: +1 717 957 8127

[Moderator's Note: Is there any sort of security check built in which
prevents me from calling your 800 number, letting it time out to an
operator and telling her to forward your 800 number to my line?  PAT]

seanwilliams@attmail.com (05/20/91)

seanwilliams@attmail.com (That's me!) writes:

> Tell the operator what number you would like to forward your 800 number
> to, and the operator will immediately make the changes.  Every time you do
> this, you will be charged $1.00. . . .

> [Moderator's Note: Is there any sort of security check built in which
> prevents me from calling your 800 number, letting it time out to an
> operator and telling her to forward your 800 number to my line?  PAT]

Okay ... Here's the deal.  I had the same question while I was writing
my last post, but didn't want to say anything.  I called my Personal
800 number, and let it time out to an operator.  I presented the
operator with the same question.  The operator was confused and
transferred me to customer service.

The customer service person was much more knowledgeable. (At least she
*knew* about the service!)  She asked for my home phone number
(There's the first security check.)  She then put me on hold, and
checked on the information.  She came back, and gave me the following
info: Call customer service at +1 800 444 3333, do not call the
Personal 800 operators.

You must tell your customer service representative your home phone
number, at which time they can look up your Personal 800 information.
Then you tell them the number to which you would like your Personal
800 number forwarded.  (At this point, she slipped and said the word
"POTS".  I think she really *did* know what she was doing!  She
figured I wouldn't understand, so she called it a "terminating number"
:) ) She also pointed out that customer service will need two weeks'
notice (security step two, I would assume) and that the charge is
$1.00.

Hope that straightens it out for everyone!

Sean E. Williams		  | seanwilliams@attmail.com
Spectrum Telecommunications	  | "I own Spectrum, so our
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227  | opinions are very similar"
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA	  | voicemail: +1 717 957 8127

[Moderator's Note: So in other words, I can still fraudulently change
your 800 number over to ring where I want it; I just have to know your
actual number as well, and wait two weeks for it to take effect. I
really have to wonder how good this 'follow me' service is for folks
on the go a lot; as compared for example to Cable & Wireless' similar
service which you change yourself in a minute or so, with an actual
800 number of your own as well.    PAT]