[comp.dcom.telecom] Change in BITFTP Policy

Thomas Lapp <thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu> (05/17/91)

Perhaps the subject line should read enforcement of policy, since I'm
not sure they ever said that they would support users who were not on
BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH.

At any rate, since Patrick has mentioned use of BITFTP for users who
do not have FTP access, but mail-only access, I thought I should pass
the following message along (I received this message back this
afternoon from my latest BITFTP request):

 > Date:     Thu, 16 May 1991 16:46:12 EDT
 > From:     Princeton BITNET FTP Server <BITFTP4@pucc.princeton.edu>
 > Subject:  BITFTP REPLY

 > 16:46:12 > FTP cs.widener.edu
 > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 > * * BITFTP is no longer able to provide service to  * *
 > * * nodes that are not directly on EARN or BITNET   * *
 > * * or NetNorth.  Your node appears to be           * *
 > * * accessible from BITNET only via a mail-only     * *
 > * * gateway.  If you believe that your node is      * *
 > * * directly on BITNET or NetNorth or EARN, please  * *
 > * * send mail to MAINT@PUCC specifying your         * *
 > * * BITNET/EARN/NetNorth node name.                 * *
 > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

tom
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Location     : Newark, DE, USA

[Moderator's Note: So there you have it. If/when a mail server for the
archives becomes available, I will let you know here.   PAT]

Rod Troch <troch@pilot.njin.net> (05/20/91)

In article <telecom11.367.2@eecs.nwu.edu> thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu
(Thomas Lapp) writes:

>  > Subject:  BITFTP REPLY
   [text deleted]
>  > * * BITFTP is no longer able to provide service to  * *
>  > * * nodes that are not directly on EARN or BITNET   * *
>  > * * or NetNorth.  Your node appears to be           * *
   [text deleted]

There exists a FTP Server called ftpmail via dec.com the address is:

ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com

Send 'help' as the message body.

No header is needed.

It works, but is slow compared to bitftp via pucc.princeton

Peace,

Rod

If you yell try : Rod Troch
internet        : troch@pilot.njin.net     :     troch@luau.kean.edu