[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellphones, Towers and Airport Security

Marty the Droid <droid@kerner.sf.ca.us> (05/21/91)

> Scott Stratmoen | ..!ast!freedm!scott writes:

> The third went to no service even when standing
> 200ft from a cell tower!

This is no real suprise Scott. The service folks need to use a hi gain
Yagi to test the radios from under the tower. There is a cone of
silence under the cell tower. I had a hard time in LA with my 3W lunch
box, when I looked up I realized I was under the antenna.

mike@post.att.com (Michael Scott Baldwin) writes:

> {I don't mean to horse a dead beat, but I do have a telecom-related
> story about bringing cellular phones on planes...}

> The strangest time, however, was when I gave it to the guard when it
> was turned off.  She *asked me* to turn it on for her!  I asked why,
> and she just said "turn it on please".  Once it bleeped and blinked
> for her, she was satisfied. I guess she was convinced that it wasn't
> one of those "fake" phones that you can stash 50 tons of cocaine in or
> something.  I'm waiting for the day they yank the battery off...

I was asked to put my pager thru the x-ray machine at SFO one time.
When I asked the supervisor why they did this he showed me the book
they keep of bulletins. There was a picture of an old large pager with
a small gun stashed inside. Now I'm always happy to demo my phone,
camera, two-way, whatever so they are happy. Most of the time when I
hand them my UHF two-way (not a ham unit, a GMRS radio) and my medic
pouch they don't look at much of anything else I have. They hardly
look at the knife and letherman in the pouch. The one lady security
person who asked questions wanted to get one like it for her paramedic
husband.

Marty 'The Droid' Brenneis
Industrial Magician   droid@well