[comp.dcom.telecom] Myths Ahout Halon

Terry.Begley@uunet.uu.net> (05/21/91)

David Lemson writes:

> Incidentally, Halon works by sucking up all of the available oxygen,
> thus killing the fire - - that's why it's a bad thing to be in the same
> room with vast amounts of Halon.

   This is only partially correct.  Halon works by displacing *SOME*
of the oxygen in the room, thus causing the fire to snuff itself out
for lack of oxygen.  People can stay in a room where a properly
installed Halon system has been discharged.  Their voices rise (like
you have inhaled helium) but there is no damage to the person.

  Of course, this assumes that the Halon system has been properly
installed.  Firing off a large Halon fire extinguisher in a small,
enclosed room could be a problem.

Terry Begley

 Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.12 r.5
 [1:285/27@fidonet] Neb. Inns of Court 402/593-1192 (1:285/27.0)

[Moderator's Note: This was left over in the queue, but we really must
close the Halon thread now.   PAT]