[comp.dcom.telecom] Requesting Nuisance Call Tracing from the Telephone Company

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (05/21/91)

In article <telecom11.358.7@eecs.nwu.edu> "habersch@husc9.harvard.
edu"@husc3.harvard.edu writes:

> Has anyone encountered resistance from the telephone company when
> requesting a standby trace to identify repeated nuisance calls?  Any
> magic words recommended to help enlist institutional cooperation will
> be appreciated!

	The "magic words" are: "I have already reported the matter to
my local police department, I am prepared to press charges of
aggravated harassment (or equivalent crime in your state) if the
perpetrator is identified, and here is the name of the police officer
to whom I made the report."

	You are virtually assured of obtaining *no* cooperation from
the telephone company (BOC, at least) without going on record by
*first* reporting the matter to your local law enforcement agency.
Also, if a call trace effort is successful, the telephone company will
generally identify the calling party only to the law enforcement
agency -- and *not* to you as the complaining subscriber.

	In my opinion, the above "requirements" by the telephone
company are not unreasonable.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry

Kim Greer -- rjj <klg@george.mc.duke.edu> (05/21/91)

In article <telecom11.384.8@eecs.nwu.edu> kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net
(Larry Lippman) writes:

> In article <telecom11.358.7@eecs.nwu.edu+ "habersch@husc9.harvard.
> edu"@husc3.harvard.edu writes:

>> Has anyone encountered resistance from the telephone company when
>> requesting a standby trace to identify repeated nuisance calls?  Any
>> magic words recommended to help enlist institutional cooperation will
>> be appreciated!

>	The "magic words" are: "I have already reported the matter to
> my local police department, I am prepared to press charges of
> aggravated harassment (or equivalent crime in your state) if the
> perpetrator is identified, and here is the name of the police officer
> to whom I made the report."

> 	You are virtually assured of obtaining *no* cooperation from
> the telephone company (BOC, at least) without going on record by
> *first* reporting the matter to your local law enforcement agency.

This obviously varies by local telco:

  I had the "opportunity" to request tracing by local GTE because of
repeated nuisance calls about a year ago.  GTE indicated to me that I
first must go to GTE and fill out a simple form that had, in essence,
the "magic words" on it, and then sign it.  Signing it indicated that
I would press charges.  I never had to contact the police (but mainly
because the calls stopped the very day I filled out the form, after
going on +- daily for 6+ weeks ...  pretty "convenient", huh?).

> 	You are virtually assured of obtaining *no* cooperation from
> the telephone company ...

  Surprisingly, GTE made it very simple, straight forward and fast.  I
literally spent more time just standing in the line to get the form
than it took to fill it out and talk with their security rep. - I know
because I was watching the clock trying to get back to work in a
hurry.  Excluding the time standing in line to get the form, the whole
thing took less than 15 minutes.  There was no effort by them to try
to talk me out of it or try to put up with it a little bit longer to
let it resolve itself -- they just went ahead and did it.

  Perhaps other telco's handle the details differently, but here was
my experience with them:

1.  called them up for specifics of where to go, who to see, etc.
	*after* having read the instructions in the phone book on
	how to handle such calls

2.  went downtown to main branch, stood in line with other people who
	were paying bills, requesting service, etc. and asked for the
	form to fill out

3.  filled it out (name, address, phone #, etc.), signed it (to
	indicate that I would press charges) and then went to the
	courtesy phones and dialed the security rep.  She indicated
	that I would have to:

4.  keep a date and time log of each nuisance call on a form they
	provided, simply to let them match my log with theirs (GTE
	would take whatever action after three matches).  The logging
        was effective for two weeks (I think) before it would have to
        be reinstituted.
and,

5.  agree to let *GTE* handle the situation.

I have to give the local GTE credit for the way they handled it.  Good
luck!

Kim L. Greer
Duke University Medical Center		 klg@orion.mc.duke.edu
Div. Nuclear Medicine  POB 3949		 voice: 919-681-5894
Durham, NC 27710  		         fax: 919-681-5636