[comp.dcom.telecom] Using Halon in a Data Center

jjm@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (james.j.menth) (05/21/91)

The original posting was regarding 911 centers that used HALON-tm
systems and I hope this info helps.

Our data center, and other areas where fires could harm expensive
electronic equipment and water or chemical based systems would cause
equal damage, are protected by HALON extinguishers. We have both
portable and fixed, automatic systems.  HALON does not 'use up' or
otherwise react with oxygen to effect its suppression of fires.
HALON, at a temperature of about 600 deg-F, breaks down chemically,
absorbing heat and releasing inert compounds at the point of the
reaction. This prevents further oxidation by insulating the flam-
mable ingredients from oxygen.

The process continues until temperature drops below 600, below which
most chemicals will not re-ignite. Enough from the brochure except
that there are different types of HALON and that is where the
confusion over hazard to humans has developed.

Our portable extinguishers contain HALON 1211 and it will displace,
not use up, oxygen when sprayed in a closed area.  It is inert at
temperatures below 600 (such as 98.6) and will not hurt you if inhaled
as long as there is enough oxygen left.  You can safely spray HALON
1211 in a closed room but you should leave the room as soon as
possible after application. HALON 1301, more expensive than 1211, is
used in the automatic system and works at such low concentrations that
it is not necessary to provide breathing apparatus, such as is
required in closed areas protected by carbon dioxide.

I have seen live (sic) demonstrations of HALON 1301 and it does not
have an effect on most people breathing it in concentrations
sufficient for extinguishing.  Our Army M1 tank has a HALON 1301
system to avoid fires in the flammable environment inside the crew
compartment.  HALON's only problem is that it is a floro-carbon,
(small amounts of halides - bromine, florine, chlorine may be released
during reactions with violent fires) and can damage the ozone layer.
There is not yet any ozone friendly substitute with these amazing and
life saving properties.  HALON can actually stop a vapor explosion in
progress and is approved for use in the engine rooms of ocean vessels.

Jim Menth   AT&T   att:lru3b!jjm

Scott Dorsey <kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov> (05/21/91)

In article <telecom11.382.3@eecs.nwu.edu> jjm@cbnewsb.cb.att.com
(james.j.menth) writes:

> ...  Our Army M1 tank has a HALON 1301
> system to avoid fires in the flammable environment inside the crew
> compartment.  HALON's only problem is that it is a floro-carbon ...

   Should I even ask what AT&T is doing with an M-1 tank?  Does this
have something to do with "slamming?"

scott

roeber@cithe1.cithep.caltech.edu (05/22/91)

In article <telecom11.386.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.
gov (Scott Dorsey) writes:

>> ...  Our Army M1 tank has a HALON 1301
>> system to avoid fires in the flammable environment inside the crew
>> compartment.  HALON's only problem is that it is a floro-carbon ...

>    Should I even ask what AT&T is doing with an M-1 tank?  Does this
> have something to do with "slamming?"

No.  Remember Johnny Fever's "Phone Cops"?

[Moderator's Note: Maybe they use it in disciplinary procedings
against employees caught reading TELECOM Digest.   :)    PAT]

trebor@uunet.uu.net> (05/23/91)

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> Should I even ask what AT&T is doing with an M-1 tank?  Does this
> have something to do with "slamming?"

You forget to pay your AT&T bill.  The tank arrives at your house.
The guy behind the machine gun very politely reminds you of the past
due bill.

AT&T has had such success with this new collection technique that they
are thinking of getting more tanks.  Sprint, on the other hand, is
investing heavily in "smart" bombs that can deliver a dunning notice
into your backyard with precision accuracy.  It is expect that, in
order to deliver the bills in as unobtrusive a manner as possible,
that they will order several B-2's.

Smaller LD companies, who do not have the financial resources of the
majors, have been cheered by recent events in the Middle East.  It
seems that there is now a large quantity of surplus Soviet tanks and
Armored Personell Carriers available at dirt cheap prices.

As the guy in the tank says, "Thank you for choosing AT&T."

Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs.   trebor@foretune.co.jp

[Moderator's Note: Enough already! This digest is for telecom, not for
a discussion of Halon, even though the jokes are funny.  One more
message, then the thread must close, sorry.  (No, really I am not
sorry, I just said that.)   :)   PAT]