[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular 911 Calls

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (05/16/91)

> [Moderator's Note  In many large urban areas 911 won't work correctly
> from cell phones ...

Here in Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems Area (Corpus Christi, TX)
SWBMS promotes FREE 911 Calls and urges you to use the service.  A
call to 911 gets you a Southwestern Bell (RBOC not Mobile Systems I
THINK she Identifies herself as Southwestern Bell) operator who seems
to have no idea you dialed 911.  You end up having to ask her to
connect you to 911 ... she does, and then spends about three to five
seconds telling the 911 operator you are a cellular caller (but NOT
your cellular number) and giving her operator number.  This whole
process adds almost fifteen seconds to completing the call, and I find
that ANNOYING if not dangerous.

FYI I toured the 911 dispatch center a couple of months ago. Three
monitors at each dispatch station ... a Computer Aided Dispatch system
with a huge X-windowed monitor that had three active windows on it ...
one showing the calls that the operator (different person) had taken,
one showing available units and taking assignments if who got which calls
and one for querying licence plate records. The second (looked like
CGA) was associated with the trunked 800 mhz radio system ... showed
units in that dispatchers channels and who was transmitting ... the
third was off.

The 911 Answer station was a regular phone with a rectangular AT&T box
about the size of a digital clock that I assume showed the incoming
phone number ... Corpus does not yet have the service that gives
addresses as well (though we have been paying taxes for it for some
time) and that it takes as long as 20 minutes to call SW Bell in San
Antonio to get an address.

The whole dispatch station is protected by a halon fire protection
system..  when the alarm goes off they operators and dispatchers have
a couple of minutes to evacuate the dispatch area before the
(apparently deadly) halon is released.  while evacuated dispatch
continues over walkie talkies from the parking lot but 911 calls go un
answered.

As a side note, I was on a ride-along last week and the entire
dispatch system crashed for four plus hours ... they were using
scratch pads to dispatch, and couldn't look up license plates and
identification information.  The radios still worked though the
officer I was with said they had been down (radios) last week for an
extended period.

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake  Internet: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE

"Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@neon.stanford.edu> (05/18/91)

In article <telecom11.365.10@eecs.nwu.edu> Blake Farenthold
<blake@pro-party.cts.com> writes:

> The whole dispatch station is protected by a halon fire protection
> system..  when the alarm goes off they operators and dispatchers have
> a couple of minutes to evacuate the dispatch area before the
> (apparently deadly) halon is released.  while evacuated dispatch
> continues over walkie talkies from the parking lot but 911 calls go un
> answered.

Halon is not "deadly".  It is a nice clean chlorofluorocarbon.
However, it works by displacing the oxygen in the air, which makes
breathing somewhat more difficult.  A more rational reason for leaving
is to avoid breathing the smoke from the fire that caused the system
to activate.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

David Lemson <lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (05/18/91)

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) writes:

> Here in Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems Area (Corpus Christi, TX)
> SWBMS promotes FREE 911 Calls and urges you to use the service.  A
> call to 911 gets you a Southwestern Bell (RBOC not Mobile Systems I
> THINK she Identifies herself as Southwestern Bell) operator who seems
> to have no idea you dialed 911.  You end up having to ask her to
> connect you to 911 ... she does, and then spends about three to five

In St. Louis (also SBMS) there are two numbers for 911: 311 for
Illinois and 511 for Missouri (or is it the other way around?  Once I
was in an accident and dialed the wrong one by mistake because I was
so shaken up -- the Illinois man was nice about it, though, but I did
have to hang up and redial).  Every time I've called 511, I get a 911
operator who then connects me with the emergency line of the police of
the city I happen to be in!  I suppose that if someone was hurt, he or
she wouldn't take the time to put you on hold (I hope!)  and connect
you with the right city, but it's rather disheartening to be put on
hold when you call 911. (Especially when it's you who was in the
accident, you end up telling your story twice - grrr...)

> FYI I toured the 911 dispatch center a couple of months ago.

[story about dispatch center deleted]

> The whole dispatch station is protected by a halon fire protection
> system ... when the alarm goes off they operators and dispatchers have
> a couple of minutes to evacuate the dispatch area before the
> (apparently deadly) halon is released.

Incidentally, Halon works by sucking up all of the available oxygen,
thus killing the fire -- that's why it's a bad thing to be in the same
room with vast amounts of Halon.

David Lemson   University of Illinois Computing Services Consultant
Internet : lemson@uiuc.edu         UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson

Kral <braun@dri.com> (05/23/91)

In article <telecom11.369.5@eecs.nwu.edu> kaufman@neon.stanford.edu
(Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

> Halon is not "deadly".  It is a nice clean chlorofluorocarbon.
> However, it works by displacing the oxygen in the air, which makes
> breathing somewhat more difficult.  A more rational reason for leaving
> is to avoid breathing the smoke from the fire that caused the system
> to activate.

While the guy who pushes the stuff likes to demo it by having it dump
on him in a booth (to demonstrate its safety), I know a computer
operator and a DEC FE who suffered from slightly bruised lungs after
being dumped on.  It comes out with enough force to knock you down, if
you're near a nozzle.

kral * 408/647-6112 *     ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com