[comp.dcom.telecom] Marconi, Cape Cod Phones, and Spark Gaps

Jack.Winslade@uunet.uu.net> (05/24/91)

In a recent message, Mike Riddle (mikee@ivgate) writes:

> Historic interlude.  If I remember correctly, Marconi's original
> station on Cape Cod was a VLF installation.)

I believe that Marconi's original transmitter would have blanketed the
spectrum from VLF to VHF, so I guess you're correct.  ;-)

 From what I can remember, Marconi's rig was something like a huge
mechanical spark-gap interrupter driving a tuned circuit (LC tank)
that was supposed to be resonant at a couple of hundred kHz.  In
actuality, it would put out pulses of energy more or less at the
resonant frequency of the tank, with harmonics extending up in the
direction of blue light.  ;-) On a spectrum analyzer, it probably
would look like 'grass' over much of the lf-hf spectrum.

If I remember correctly, yes, it was Cape Caaawd, right outside the
town of Truro on the Lower Cape.  I used to vacation in that area in
the 70's.  Old Strowger types would have had a field day playing with
some of the funky dial systems that were out there at that time.

One bit of trivia that will interest some readers is what I remember
out in Provincetown, at the very tip of the cape.  Provincetown had
the only 5-crossbar installation in the area, but what was stranger
was that many (I do not remember if all) pay phones out there were on
the 3xxx level.  I remember checking quite a few of them and most that
I remember were 3xxx.  Now, imagine this, try to explain to your
friends why in the heck at every pay phone you stare at it, swing the
handset to read the number, but do not do anything else, like make a
call.  (That was considered a bit strange, even for P'town. <big
grin>)

For those of you who think that spark-gap RF generators are all gone,
they are very much alive and well in one field, although decreasing in
number.  Spark-gap RF electrosurgery generators are preferred over
tube or solid-state units by some physicians.  There are many Birtcher
and Burdick units still in service.  The surgeons say they get a
better coagulating (hemostasis) action with the 'real' spark RF
generators than with the newer ones, even those that simulate the
spark waveform with added harmonics.

Well, gang, I'm afraid that's all of the trivia for today. ;-) We now
return you to the Tale of Randy, COCOTs and 900 sleaze.

Good Day!         JSW