[comp.dcom.telecom] Follow Me Roaming - a Few Corrections

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (05/25/91)

Douglas Scott Reuben <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu> writes:

> The main problem which I have with FMR, and one that I've written to
> GTE/FMR (and posted to the Digest) about is post-midnight activations.

This is the only problem I have ever had with FMR recently -- but for
a different reason. A couple of days after returning from a trip to
LA, I was standing next to my bike in front of the Federal Building in
San Francisco. I needed some info for a records search, so I dug out
my handheld. After paging the person who had the info, I waited (and
waited) for the return call. I tried again. Finally, MY pager went off
showing a number which I called.

It turned out to be the person I was paging who was very annoyed. "If
you are going to page someone and direct them to call your handheld,
the least you could do is turn it on." It was on. And it seemed to
work fine. Suddenly I had a thought.

"Was the voice that told you the phone was unavailable male or
female?"  It was male. My home system, GTE San Francisco, uses a
female voice.  What on earth was going on?

It turns out that the FMR activated days before in Los Angeles had
failed to deactivate automatically. The voice announcing my
unavailability was coming from PacTel Los Angeles. No problem; I used
the "clear call forwarding" code. One more thing to check when
returning from a trip!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Douglas Scott Reuben) (05/25/91)

I just got around to reviewing some of my recent posts about roaming,
as well as Pat's and a few other posts which in part dealt with Follow
Me Roaming. (I think Steve Forette was one of the other people.)

I noticed that when I wrote about FMR, I described it as "flakey" and
slow, that is to say, quite unreliable overall. Yet most of the other
posts described how quickly it worked and that it was indeed QUITE
reliable.

Generally, despite what my posts may have indicated, I too find FMR to
be quite fast and rather reliable. Since GTE took over the FMR system
and moved to Tampa during the summer of 1990, service has become a lot
better. Activations which used to take 30 or more minutes are now
accomplished in less than five, and usually within two minutes.
Deactivations are equally as fast. And generally, if you hit *18 to
invoke FMR, you will not have to do so again as the system rarely
"forgets" to forward your calls anymore. (It would sometimes
acknowledge that a roamer had entered *18, but for one reason or
another not turn FMR on, even hours later.)

The main problem which I have with FMR, and one that I've written to
GTE/FMR (and posted to the Digest) about is post-midnight activations.
FMR deactivates at 12:15AM (or a bit later), local time, in the system
in which one is roaming in. Thus, if I roam in Boston with FMR, on my
GTE/San Francisco account, my calls are no longer forwarded after
9:15PM California time, which is quite inconvenient. Moreover, if you
hit *18 at 12:20AM, or even 1AM, your calls may not be redirected to
you for *THREE HOURS* or more.

To most people, getting calls between 12AM-3AM local time is no big
deal, but to me it is, and thus I am very disappointed with how GTE
handles post-midnight deactivations. Moreover, I see no reason why
they can't re-write the FMR software (or modify it) to allow for FMR
to stay on for a 24-hour period after hitting *18, or for a special
code, *17 (or whatever) so that it won't turn off at 12AM, etc. The
"A" carriers, which have a system analogous to FMR, uses a 24 hour
cycle. As soon as I can utilize the "A"s' system, I'll compare it to
FMR and see which one has better overall service.

Note that post-midnight activation delays may also be a problem in
some systems that don't always "register" a *18 request at the time.
Frequently, I hit *18 in Boston at about 1AM, then go to sleep (well,
I don't bring the phone in the house, but you know ..! :) ). I do this
so the next morning FMR will be up and running, yet this doesn't
always work, and GTE claims that this is also due to the post-midnight
delays. (Yet NYNEX/Boston seems perfectly happy to bill you $4 for
this call, regardless of what happens!)

Overall, thus, FMR is a usable and reliable system as long as you
don't need to use it at night. So posts suggesting that FMR works well
are quite correct.  But after 50+ attempts at activations after
12:15AM in five east coast, two west coast, the Atlanta and the New
Orleans systems, I can say that (at least in those systems) FMR is
very unreliable and generally useless after 12AM.  I keep hoping
something is done to rectify this, but I fear I will just have to use
the "A"s instead. Not a great choice either way.  :(

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by my previous
characterizations of the FMR system.

Doug    dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu  //  dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet