[comp.dcom.telecom] Marconi, Cape Cod Phones and Spark Gaps

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (05/25/91)

In article(v11,iss.392), Jack Winslade <ivgate!Jack.Winslade@uunet.
uu.net> provides a reply to a query about the technology used in
Marconi's epochal transatlantic radio transmission:

> In a recent message, Mike Riddle (mikee@ivgate) writes:

>> Historic interlude.  If I remember correctly, Marconi's original
>> station on Cape Cod was a VLF installation.)

Jack replied:

> I believe that Marconi's original transmitter would have blanketed the
> spectrum from VLF to VHF, so I guess you're correct.  ;-)

> From what I can remember, Marconi's rig was something like a huge
> mechanical spark-gap interrupter driving a tuned circuit (LC tank)
> that was supposed to be resonant at a couple of hundred kHz.

   Well, Jack, you drove me off to some history books, just to see how
good your memory is, and it's pretty good.  However, by the time of
his transatlantic success, he hadn't yet used the rotary spark inter-
rupter.  The best short description I have at hand is from "A History
of Electrical Engineering," by Percy Dunsheath, London, Faber & Faber,
1962.

   In the chapter, "The Electron in Engineering," Dunsheath pictures
Marconi's first transmitter and receiver.  The transmitter is no more
than a battery interrupted by a telegraph key in the primary circuit
of an induction coil that has a spark gap in its secondary with an
"aerial plate" and a ground connection to the electrodes of the spark
gap.  (I find the notion of an "aerial plate" quite interesting, for
any number of early histories running into the 1920's consider a radio
antenna as one plate of a capacitor with earth forming the other
plate.

One book shows ever larger and larger "flat-top" antenna structures,
such as the one built by Telefunken for its station LPZ near Buenos
Aires.  It stretched one-half kilometer wide by 2-1/2 kilometers long.
That of GFEX at Hillmorton, near Rugby, England covered 900 acres of
land, suspended on twelve 820-foot-high towers spaced 1320 feet apart
in a figure-8 arrangement. The GFEX antenna was said to have a
capacitance of .045 microfarad, with a total resistance on one ohm!
Clearly, the builders of these behemoths felt that creating a huge
induction field was the way to obtain a strong magnetic field.  Power
levels of these beasts ran from 200,000 watts to one million watts!)

   But Dunsheath writes of Marconi: "In 1900 Marconi made a major
modification of the transmitting circuit.  The spark gap was removed
from the main aerial and placed in an oscillatory circuit consisting
of a condenser made of several Leyden jars in parallel and the single
turn rimary of a transformer, the secondary of which had many turns
and was in the aerial-to-earth circuit." The text goes on to indicate
this idea of placing a resonant circuit in the transmitting antenna
was also applied to Marconi's receiving antenna, and with unspecified
power levels at unspecified frequencies, ranges of several hundred
miles were reached.

   Then, Dunsheath describes Marconi's transatlantic experiment thus:

"The spark system of Marconi having made such strides, he was
encouraged to contemplate bridging the Atlantic and in 1900 the first
high-power radio station was constructed at Polhu in Cornwall.  In
place of the induction coil fed by a voltaic battery an alternator
driven by a 25 horsepower oil engine worked through transformers to
give a voltage of 20,000.  The aerial system consisted of 50 wires
supported on masts 200 feet high." (Another book contains a photo
showing four apparently wooden towers surrounding a small building at
Poldhu.) "Towards the end of 1901 Marconi left for St. John's,
Newfoundland, and set up temporary aerials by means of kites and
balloons, with which, on 13 December 1901, he received the agreed
three-dot signals which were being transmitted from Poldhu.  The
wavelength used was from 2,000 to 3,000 feet."

        Later, Dunsheath describes that, "...different forms of
interuptor were sought.  Rotary contactors, in the form of discs with
external spokes passing near to fixed studs, were driven by the
alternator shaft and became common practice."  He then goes on to
describe how Poulsen in Denmark (1903) enclosed large arcs in a
hydrogen (isn't that explosive?)  bath and a strong magnetic field to
produce undamped (continuous) oscillations up to one megahertz.  The
Poulsen arc converters were built into units up to 100,000 Watts each
with as many as ten units in parallel used at a U.S. Navy station near
Bordeaux, France producing one megawatt in this way.  In the same
period, Alexanderson and others were building high-frequency
alternators typically of 200 kilowatts each. to produce signals a bit
higher in frequency than the arc transmitters of that eraly day.

        So, it would appear that Marconi first used a (probably rough)
form of alternator, and at the indicated wavelengths, its frequency
was 328 to 492 kilohertz.  (I guess frequency control wasn't too
important in 1901, since there was no one else to interfere with.)

        But with resonant antennae and semi-smooth waves, I would take
issue with Jack's surmise that the signal reached up to blue light.
I'd say it was only up to about TV channel 7. ;-).

       But, if he had a 25 horsepower engine and high efficiency, that
could produce about 18,000 watts of power.  Considering it would be
another decade until deForest would produce a triode vacuum tube to
amplify weak received signals, getting 3,000 miles on 400 kilohertz
 ... which is Medium Frequency, by the way ... it took a few years for
the art to settle on Low Frequency and VLF ... GFEX ran at 16
kilohertz and 540 kilowatts in its antenna in the 1920's.), Marconi
did very well, indeed.  Few of us in later generations ever got a
medium-wave signal that far on a planned basis!