[comp.dcom.telecom] Modem Isolation Device Needed

Ken Mandelberg <km@mathcs.emory.edu> (05/24/91)

When my modem is connected to my phone line, I can hear a hum on
extension phones. The hum appears on extensions not connected to the
modem (as well as one that is connected through the modem). The hum
doesn't effect the modem at all, as far as I can tell.

Is there an isolating device I can put between the modem and phone
line that would isolate the modem (and hum) when the modem is not off
hook.

Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963, FAX 727-5611

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (05/25/91)

Ken Mandelberg <km@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> Is there an isolating device I can put between the modem and phone
> line that would isolate the modem (and hum) when the modem is not off
> hook.

Any modem complying with Part 68 of the FCC R&R will not cause that
problem. The hum is caused by an imbalance and/or leakage to ground
within the modem. It should be repaired or replaced. Band-Aids should
not be used in this case.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Julian Macassey <julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil> (05/26/91)

In article <telecom11.394.2@eecs.nwu.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken
Mandelberg) writes:

> When my modem is connected to my phone line, I can hear a hum on
> extension phones. The hum appears on extensions not connected to the
> modem (as well as one that is connected through the modem). The hum
> doesn't effect the modem at all, as far as I can tell.

> Is there an isolating device I can put between the modem and phone
> line that would isolate the modem (and hum) when the modem is not off
> hook.

	If you have hum on the line because of the modem, then there
is something wrong with the modem, or the house wiring.

	You don't say what brand and model it is -- this is helpful
when trouble shooting. But you can do one simple thing to decide
whether it is a wiring problem. Locate a line cord with only two
wires (most have four). Cheap nasty ones have two. Use that between
the modem and see what happens to the hum. If it goes away, you can
leave it that way. If you want to dig further, see if the modem has
A-lead control (An option of Hayes and other modems). Remove the
A-lead control.  Check the jack the modem is connected to, wire only
the red and green wires on the jack.

	If the hum persists, you have a "longtitudinal balance"
problem with the modem. This means one side of the modem's phone line
is too close to ground potential. It could be an internal short in the
modem -- open and see. It could be a crummy cheap modem -- another
reason to state brand and model.

	One way to fool the hum is switch the phone leads in the jack
(The red and green ones), this often gets rid of hum.

	Also in gross cases, you may have the jack wired with a ground
wire (usually yellow) where Tip or Ring should be.

	Anyhow if the modem meets FCC Part 68 and the phone wiring is
Kosher, you should have no hum.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
742 1/2 North Hayworth Avenue Hollywood CA 90046-7142 voice (213) 653-4495