[comp.dcom.telecom] Collecting Call ID Info to PC or MAC

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (05/26/91)

In article <telecom11.390.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, KESLER@OUACCVMA.BITNET writes:

> I am currently looking for a device that will allow my Macintosh
> and/or PC to retrieve caller ID info from our university's digital
> phone system.

> Does anyone out there know of a card or easily connectable device that
> will connect to my MAC (via serial port) or PC (via serial port) and
> let me do this?  Is it possible to make a device like this if one is
> not available.?

Please tell us what kind of digital phone system you're using.  Does
it currently deliver caller information (perhaps to display-type
telephone sets)?  If it is ISDN-based, then there are several ISDN
cards for PC and MAC available.  If it is analog, like the CLASS
Caller*ID service offered to single-line customers by telcos, there
are devices that can demodulate those messages and pass them to your
PC or MAC.  If your phone system uses its own proprietary signaling
system, such as AT&T's DCP (used by System 75, and System 85) then you
should contact your system manufacturer.  In the case of the AT&T
systems mentioned, they offer a product called, I think, "The PC-PBX
Connection" which will do what you want.

Dave Levenson	     Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.	     UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA	     AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857