[comp.dcom.telecom] DAA Help Needed

Paul Sutter <sutter@apple.com> (05/15/91)

Three DAA questions:

1) FCC Part 68 says the dc on-hook impedance should be 5 megohms.
EIA-470 says at least 25 megohms. Which should I follow? iI is much
easier for me to exceed 5 megohms than 25.

2) Many DAA circuits I have seen include the following surge
protection:

(tip)  ----/\/\/\/\/----+--------

                      (varistor)

(ring) ----/\/\/\/\/----+--------

With 5 ohm resistors, how are the wattage ratings determined? I have
seen anything from 1 watt to quarter watt resistors used. likewise I
have seen variation in the varistor used. Since these are for surges,
how do you calculate the necessary ratings?

3) Can anyone suggest a cheapo transformer with 1.5kv isolation that
does not have to be beefy enough to pull the DC offset? The cheapest
we have found was a Midcom for $.80 (in moderate quantity), but since
it was designed to pull the DC offset, I suspect a cheaper/smaller one
may be found. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul Sutter

(not writing on behalf of my employer)

Jon Sreekanth <jon_sree@world.std.com> (05/27/91)

In article <telecom11.372.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Paul Sutter <sutter@apple.
com> writes:

> 1) FCC Part 68 says the dc on-hook impedance should be 5 megohms.
> EIA-470 says at least 25 megohms. Which should I follow? iI is much
> easier for me to exceed 5 megohms than 25.

The way it was explained to me, for a "DC REN" of 1.0, the DC on-hook
impedance below 100V should be 25 Meg. Since a max of REN 5.0 is
permitted, the minimum DC impedance is 5 Meg.

I've seen the EIA spec, but it can't be mandatory, because I have a
Rat Shack gadget which has detailed specs, and lists its resistance as
10M on-hook, 300 ohm off-hook.

The only issue is whether you expect other parallel connected devices
(extension phones, etc) sharing the line with your device, in which
case you don't want to use up the REN 5.0 budget.

> 2) Many DAA circuits I have seen include the following surge
>    protection:

>    (tip)  ----/\/\/\/\/----+--------

			 (varistor)

>    (ring) ----/\/\/\/\/----+--------

> With 5 ohm resistors, how are the wattage ratings determined? I have
> seen anything from 1 watt to quarter watt resistors used. likewise I
> have seen variation in the varistor used. Since these are for surges,
> how do you calculate the necessary ratings?

The way I've done it is figure out the maximum "regular" voltage on
the phone line (48V + 1.4*150 ... FCC ring B has a max of 150V).
Varistors seem to have a broad range of breakdown voltage, not a crisp
zener like voltage, so I've ended up using a 360V nominal varistor.
The resistors should have enough wattage not to blow under the FCC
simulated lightning strike (25A of 10*560 uS surge at 800V). I
actually use a slow blow fuse in place of the resistors; that gives me
UL1459.

Regards,

Jon Sreekanth
Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com