[comp.dcom.telecom] Ringing Tones, etc.

Jack.Winslade@uunet.uu.net> (05/28/91)

YSAR1111@vm1.yorku.ca (Rick Broadhead) writes:

> I've also noticed that busy signals and ringing signals can vary
> WITHIN a country.  For instance, in Canada and the United States,
> these tones vary depending on the exchange dialed.  ...

And the Moderator Noted:

> One sounds one way, another some other way.  PAT]

It's not only that they SOUND different, equipment that listens for
the call progress tones BEHAVES differently as well.  One particular
prefix, 212-569 (this may have been upgraded in the last few months)
still uses the older 'city ring', which has a different (lower) pitch
but the same cadence as the modern 'standard' ringback tone.  When my
system used to dial a system on this office, it could not tell if
there was a valid ring, a busy, or if the call was accidentally
intercepted in Never Never Land.  For example, if it called and found
the system busy, it would not immediately abort and log a busy
attempt, but it would wait for a timeout and log a failed session.
Same for a ring with no answer.  A minor inconvenience, but somewhat
annoying.

It's that older tone that many of us (yes, showing my age, I know)
always learned as >>THE<< ringing tone when we first learned to use
the phone.  After I learned a bit about telephone hardware, I
discovered that this tone (and it's accompanying tone, the rude,
raucous busy tone -- a klaxon compared to the polite tweet-tweet of
today's busy tone) was found mostly on the old panel and #1 crossbar
systems, as well as some of the older #5 crossbars.  These tones were
generated by huge mechanical generators and used in the larger
metropolitan offices.

There was a discussion of ringing tones in a local conference a while
back (but I can't find it now) which discussed this.  It made mention
of a certain suburban Omaha office which until recently had a
vibrating reed tone generator.  It was remarked that it sounded like
the passing of gas.  ;-)

Good Day!        JSW

 msged 1.99S ZTC
 * Origin: [200:5010/2@metronet] Interuniverse Gateway  (200:5010/2)