[comp.dcom.telecom] Analysis and Comment: 'Booby Trap' Toll Exchanges

"Sander J. Rabinowitz" <0003829147@mcimail.com> (05/25/91)

Wm. Randolph Franklin recently wrote (portions deleted):

> 2. I called NyTel again.  They gave me the following list: area codes
> 700 and 900; exchanges 394, 540, 550, 970, & 976.

> i) How many of you people, who said everyone has the obligation to
> know this, knew about 394?

> 3. AT&T said that they knew nothing about this and told me to try NyTel.

> 4. I tried MCI for fun.  They'd never heard of this and didn't know
> where to look.

The Moderator Noted:

> [Moderator's Note: I'd suggest since MCI knew nothing about this,
> that folks begin making their 540 calls via MCI, ha-ha ... or Sprint.
> Let *them* get stuck with the humongous charge from NY Tel.  Before
> long they'd learn, and begin intercepting 540 like they do 976.   PAT]

I did in fact experiment to see if calls in all of the 212 exchanges
mentioned by Mr. Franklin would be intercepted by LDCs, using the
following five companies: ATT, MCI, US Sprint, Metromedia/ITT, and
Allnet.

I did this by dialing 10xxx-1-212-yyy-9990, where xxx is the carrier
access code and yyy is the toll exchange in question. (I deliberately
ended the phone number with 9990 under the assumption that a phone
number ending with 9990 rarely exists.)  I then listened to the
intercept recording, to see where it was coming from.  If the
recording came from the LDC, it would vary based on the carrier that
was selected, while if the recording came from the NyTel, it would not
vary, regardless of the carrier, so it would be safe to conclude that
the LDC did not intercept the call.

The result: Only Allnet intercepted calls made to 212-394; all the
other LDCs tested allowed the calls.  None of the LDCs allowed calls
to any of the other exchanges mentioned in Mr. Franklin's post, with
the exception of AT&T, which allowed calls to 212-976.  I followed up
on this one by dialing 1-212-976-1212 (which is NYC's Weather Line -- I
have AT&T as my default LD carrier), and the call went through.

Opinion (insert the usual disclaimers here): I hope the situation in
New York doesn't become a trend throughout the country.  It seems to
me that anytime an exchange is used for toll services that is valid
for standard calls somewhere else, it's going to inevitably generate
quite a bit of confusion, both among customers and telephone
companies, and it does appears to be hurting both sides.  We've seen
what can happen to the customer, but what about the long distance
carriers?  They have to keep up with all these non-976 exchanges,
and so far they're only partially successful, but what about later
(when many more exchanges will appear)?  And, of course, the local
telco has to field all the new complaints over unexpected charges.

With all these factors in mind, it seems like there's plenty of
incentive to get a nationwide standard established for local toll
exchanges, such that a given exchange is known across the country as
being either for normal use or for toll services.

Sander J. Rabinowitz | sjr@mcimail.com -or- | +1 615 661 4645
Brentwood, Tenn.     | sander@attmail.com   |       8-)

Scott Hinckley <scott@hsvaic.boeing.com> (05/28/91)

Side note: When I used MCI to dial a 212-394-**** number I recieved
the following message, aparently from the 394 exchange:

"You have reached a non-working number in the 394 exchange. There is
no charge for this call."

MCI would not complete a call to a 976 number.

Scott Hinckley
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott
DISCLAIMER: All contained herein are my opinions, they do not|+1 205 461 2073
represent the opinions or feelings of Boeing or its management|  BTN:461-2073