[comp.dcom.telecom] A Very Simple ISDN Question

Kim.Fosbe@uunet.uu.net> (05/19/91)

I already know about what ISDN is and about all those wonderful things
that it will do which we will wonder how we got along without.

What I don't know is just how it will effect those of us who use regular
plug-in modems. Nobody seems to know this.

Will ISDN make our modems obsolete? Is it true that all we will have
to do is plug in an RS232 cable from the PC port to the phone and dial
up any system like we do now? Is there a way to use your plug-in
modems when you have ISDN at home? Has anybody ever thought of that?
Also, is there a way to use your answering machine when you get ISDN?

Another question while I am on the subject. Are these black AT&T
digital phones that are replacing the hold-button phones in offices
actually ISDN phones? One guy tells me they are and another guy tells
me no. Both of them are electronic people. Full of questions, aren't I?

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

 Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.13 r.5
 [200:5010/666@metronet] DRBBS -- Keep The Royals in Omaha  (200:5010/666.0)

Jeff.Scheer@uunet.uu.net> (05/20/91)

Kim, I think that the black AT&T phones in offices are the Merlin or
Merlin Plus systems.  That would put them (I believe) in the Digital
train or ISDN.  As for the modeming question run that one by the other
persons here as I am a lowly end-user and am trying to keep up with
all that is going on in the telecom world, although some of the
acronyms are enough to drive me up a punch down block.

 The .COMmand Center  (Opus 1:5010/23)

[Mooderator's Note: I believe a message earlier today indicated that
the Merlin phones are not necessarily ISDN equipped. The phone has to
actually say so.  When you come down off the punch down block, you can
look up all the telecom acronyms you ever wanted to know and then some
by pulling the three glossary files from the Telecom Archives.
Submitted by different sources, they have hundreds of terms to help
you in understanding what you read here.  (ftp lcs.mit.edu)    PAT]

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/20/91)

In article <telecom11.376.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, ivgate!Kim.Fosbe@uunet.uu.
net (Kim Fosbe) writes:

> I already know about what ISDN is and about all those wonderful things
> that it will do which we will wonder how we got along without.

> What I don't know is just how it will effect those of us who use regular
> plug-in modems. Nobody seems to know this.

> Will ISDN make our modems obsolete? Is it true that all we will have
> to do is plug in an RS232 cable from the PC port to the phone and dial
> up any system like we do now? Is there a way to use your plug-in
> modems when you have ISDN at home? Has anybody ever thought of that?
> Also, is there a way to use your answering machine when you get ISDN?

> Another question while I am on the subject. Are these black AT&T
> digital phones that are replacing the hold-button phones in offices
> actually ISDN phones? One guy tells me they are and another guy tells
> me no. Both of them are electronic people. Full of questions, aren't I?

Plug in modems are analog devices and simply won't work with ISDN.
ISDN does provide RS-232 connectivity at the TE (ISDN for Termial
Eqipment) in the form of separate boxes, modules for telephones (my
office phone has a DB25 in the back), BRI boards for computers and, no
doubt many others yet to be invented.

See my previous post for possible ways to get from ISDN to analog
modems. Once everyone has ISDN modems will be obsolete. But for the
next couple of centuries they will still be around. I suspect that
either LECs or private companies will provide ISDN to modem service to
get from analog to ISDN and back. Our site has its own modem pool on
the analog side of our switch, but most folk can't afford their own
ISDN switch. (We have a 5ESS.)

Bottom line -- ISDN is a pure digital medium. Analog equipment will
NOT work with it. Period. Answering systems included. I expect two
products to appear to take care of this. ISDN answering machines and a
limited ISDN to analog converter. The latter would work well with
things like answering machines. I don't know about modems. In theory
they would work, but I suspect that there might be interoperability
problems.

If the black AT&T phone says ISDN on the corner, it's ISDN. Otherwise
it is not. Merlins look almost identical to ISDN phones. They are
digital and share components with ISDN sets, so the confusion is
reasonable. But they are very different from "real" ISDN phones. My
desk set looks "just like" mu old Merlin phone except for a few more
buttons and a two line LCD alpha-numeric display.

R. Kevin Oberman		  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov	  (415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything. Especially
anything gnu.

"Fred R. Goldstein" <goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com> (05/21/91)

In article <telecom11.376.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, ivgate!Kim.Fosbe@uunet.uu.
net (Kim Fosbe) writes...

> Will ISDN make our modems obsolete? Is it true that all we will have
> to do is plug in an RS232 cable from the PC port to the phone and dial
> up any system like we do now? Is there a way to use your plug-in
> modems when you have ISDN at home? Has anybody ever thought of that?
> Also, is there a way to use your answering machine when you get ISDN?

If both ends of the call are on ISDN, then modems are obsolete: ISDN
gives you 64 kbps dial up.  You'll still need an ISDN Terminal Adapter
(TA) to convert RS232 to ISDN, though; it's like a modem but a tad bit
faster.  Of course if you have ISDN at only one end, it had better
have a modem if it wants to communicate with an analog line!  That's
possible too ... Some ISDN networks may also provide a modem pool
service.

The answering machine question, though, brings up another nit about
ISDN: For the average residence, ISDN makes no sense for _voice_.
You'd need a new ISDN answering machine, and I've not seen one yet,
and it wouldn't be cheap.  Better to have a TA to adapt analog lines
and devices (phones, answering machines) to ISDN, using a different TA
to handle the high-speed data.  Note that only one phone can be on a
call at a time using ISDN digital phones, so an analog phone will work
better!  (It needs a TA, which generically means any devices that
adapts non-ISDN devices to run over ISDN, phone or data.)

> Another question while I am on the subject. Are these black AT&T
> digital phones that are replacing the hold-button phones in offices
> actually ISDN phones? One guy tells me they are and another guy tells
> me no. Both of them are electronic people. Full of questions, aren't I?

AT&T 7500-series sets are ISDN.  The 7400-series sets aren't.  ISDN
sets are generally found behind Centrex, while the non-ISDN sets
(cheaper) are typically found behind PBXs.  They look similar.

Fred R. Goldstein              Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com   voice: +1 508 952 3274
 Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
 alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?

dts@husc6.harvard.edu> (05/22/91)

Boxes to make analog devices work over ISDN are supposed to be
available.  It will be impossible to roll out ISDN for residential
service without such gizmos, and they'd better have enough battery
backup potential for keeping the line running in the event of an AC
failure.

Your comments regarding ISDN and analog not interacting ever is
perhaps the way things will be at bigger corporations, but not
elsewhere. The 64000 BPS pipe provided by an ISDN B channel is the
same as what your current analog voice circuit gets digitized into in
the C.O. today. The only difference in service between an Analog to
ISDN converter in your house and running analog to the CO is where the
Analog/Digital conversion takes place.

There is a big advantage in doing the A/D conversion closer to your
house rather than at the C.O. since the analog lines pick up noise
without a means for compensation. SLC-96 units provide a similar A/D
conversion outside the C.O.

Daniel Senie               UUCP: uunet!lectroid!peanut!dts
Daniel Senie Consulting    ARPA: peanut!dts@lectroid.sw.stratus.com
48 Elm Street              CSRV: 74176,1347
Clinton, MA 01510          TEL.: 508 - 365 - 5352

[Moderator's Note: A new mailing list discussing ISDN is getting under
way. For information on how to subscribe, read the final message in
this issue of the Digest.   PAT]

"Jonathan M. Zweig" <zweig@parc.xerox.com> (05/23/91)

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov writes:

  [stuff deleted]

> Bottom line -- ISDN is a pure digital medium. Analog equipment will
> NOT work with it. Period. Answering systems included. I expect two
> products to appear to take care of this. ISDN answering machines and a
> limited ISDN to analog converter. The latter would work well with
> things like answering machines. I don't know about modems. In theory
> they would work, but I suspect that there might be interoperability
> problems.

GACK! This is in direct disagreement with the existence of POTS
interface doohickies I have seen demos of.  Basically a box that has
an RJ11 jack for a vanilla phone, and just enough ISDN smarts in it to
accept dial strings, produce ring voltages, etc.

I admit it's pretty horrid to think of turning my data into analog
screamishness so it can get redigitized a meter away, but it would
certainly work to plug a Trailblazer into the analog jack of a
suitably equipped ISDN phone. 64,000 digitizations per second is
64,000 digitizations, whether my CO's 5ESS switch does it, or the box
on my wall.

Johnny Phone

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/28/91)

In article <telecom11.393.7@eecs.nwu.edu>, zweig@parc.xerox.com
(Jonathan M. Zweig) writes:

> oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov writes:

> GACK! This is in direct disagreement with the existence of POTS
> interface doohickies I have seen demos of.  Basically a box that has
> an RJ11 jack for a vanilla phone, and just enough ISDN smarts in it to
> accept dial strings, produce ring voltages, etc.

> I admit it's pretty horrid to think of turning my data into analog
> screamishness so it can get redigitized a meter away, but it would
> certainly work to plug a Trailblazer into the analog jack of a
> suitably equipped ISDN phone. 64,000 digitizations per second is
> 64,000 digitizations, whether my CO's 5ESS switch does it, or the box
> on my wall.

I have become aware of such things, and I'm sure they work for many
applications, but when AT&T bid on our phone system, they promised
such a capability.  They failed to deliver and, I assume, paid a
penalty for failing to meet contractual obligations.

64 KHz is 64 KHz, (but not really 64,000 digitizations per second).
But that does NOT mean that plugging in a TrailBlazer will just work.
In fact, Trailblazers don't work on some multiplexed analog lines. I
am nowhere nearly expert enough on the details of V.32 or PEP to say
what difficulty might be encountered, but AT&T told us that "it is not
possible". And paid for the opportunity to say it.

That does NOT make it right. In fact, it's probably wrong. But it does
imply that it is not trivial. And they made it clear that an analog
connection to handle answering machines was a lot easier, though not
as trivial as it sounds.  Things like ring voltage and lack of
feedback to the ISDN side of the circuit make it trickier than it
seems at first.