[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T's Cornet

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (05/29/91)

In V11#400, Steven S. Brack <nstar!bluemoon!sbrack@iuvax.cs.indiana.
edu> asks:

>> The following is part of an AT&T letter dated May 6, 1991:
>> Phone (317) 352-8500   Cornet 358-8500   Fax (317) 352-8468

>        A quick, simple question: what is Cornet?

Pat responded that Cornet is AT&T's internal phone system.

Pat's partially correct.  About three years ago, I recall seeing a
company bulletin saying Cornet was being phased out in favor of an
internal Software Defined Network.

Cornet was limited to certain parts of the company (Bell Labs and
former Western Electric locations?).  In six years with AT&T, I've
never directly encountered it, although I saw some references.  If
memory serves, Cornet was a tandem network.  Much of the traffic was
carried over dedicated lines running from switch to switch.  It did
provide seven-digit dialing anywhere in the country.

Assuming I'm right, then AT&T Long Lines would have issued billing for
the dedicated lines connecting the switches, WECo handled the
equipment leasing, and millions of ratepayer dollars paid for the
internal accounting!

Jack Dominey, AT&T Commercial Marketing, Tucker GA
V: (404)496-6925      AT&T Mail: !dominey

Michael F Eastman <mfe@ihlpy.att.com> (05/30/91)

In article <telecom11.406.12@eecs.nwu.edu>, jdominey@bsga05.attmail.
com writes:

> In V11#400, Steven S. Brack <nstar!bluemoon!sbrack@iuvax.cs.indiana.
> edu> asks:

> >> The following is part of an AT&T letter dated May 6, 1991:
> >> Phone (317) 352-8500   Cornet 358-8500   Fax (317) 352-8468

> >        A quick, simple question: what is Cornet?

> Pat responded that Cornet is AT&T's internal phone system.

> Pat's partially correct.  About three years ago, I recall seeing a
> company bulletin saying Cornet was being phased out in favor of an
> internal Software Defined Network.

> Cornet was limited to certain parts of the company (Bell Labs and
> former Western Electric locations?).  In six years with AT&T, I've
> never directly encountered it, although I saw some references.  If
> memory serves, Cornet was a tandem network.  Much of the traffic was
> carried over dedicated lines running from switch to switch.  It did
> provide seven-digit dialing anywhere in the country.

Cornet (CORporate NETwork) is indeed being phased out (if not almost
all gone). It was used extensively at Bell Labs and Western Electric.
CORNET was provided using a network of 1ESS Switches, and then
replaced recently by 5ESS Switches. (This same service is/was sold to
many large and medium-sized businesses.) This service was replaced by
SDN.  SDN provides for ten-digit dialing whether using private network
facilities or more expensive public facilities.

This means the user (employee dialing the phone) need not worry about
that.  The service provider (AT&T-NSD) takes care of this for the
customer (Bell Labs) without each user having to understand any of
this.  Also, it eliminates the need to remember TWO phone numbers.

Mike Eastman    att!ihlpy!mfe    (708) 979-6569
AT&T Bell Laboratories  Rm. 4F-328  Naperville, IL 60566