[comp.dcom.telecom] Something Sounds Fishy: $700 Credit For AT&T Employees?

Rick Farris <rfarris@rfengr.com> (05/28/91)

Do all AT&T employees receive $700 credit on their phone bills each
month?

A local modem hobbyist is raising quite a stir by bragging about the
$700 credit he receives each month as a "part-time computer security
consultant" for AT&T.

Because the only security for MS-DOS machines (the only computer
*he's* ever seen) is physical security (maybe that's it; he's bolting
computers to desktops ...), a group of us were wondering why he would
be entitled to such a large credit for part-time work.

On the other hand, a stipend and a large phone-bill credit would be
just right for a paid informant; one that searches out pirate and
phreak BBSs and reports on them.

So is a $700 credit reasonable for part-time work?  If so, geez, what
kind of credit do full-timers get?

Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

[Moderator's Note: He may get that sort of allowance for being a
snitch -- a 'part time computer security consultant' -- each month,
since after all, he has to spend a lot of time on line long distance
spying on sysops and users -- if that is what he does -- but I don't
think that is a usual benefit for AT&T employees. What I've heard is
that they receive either all or a portion of their long distance
service for free; but I doubt that it runs $700 per month for most
employees! But still, if he is tattling on naughty users and sysops,
why would he say anything about it at all and blow his cover?  Has
anyone confirmed this? Is he just running off at the mouth?  There are
a lot of people who *wish* they could be ... uh hum! 'computer
security consultants', you know. It might be just fanciful thinking on
his part. Tell him you'll believe it when you see his AT&T bill with
an adjustment like this on it.   PAT]

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (05/29/91)

In V11#407, Rick Farris <rfarris@rfengr.com> asks:

> Do all AT&T employees receive $700 credit on their phone bills
> each month?

> A local modem hobbyist is raising quite a stir by bragging about the
> $700 credit he receives each month as a "part-time computer security
> consultant" for AT&T.

> So is a $700 credit reasonable for part-time work?  If so, geez, what
> kind of credit do full-timers get?

It just so happens that today I was filling out my AT&T Form U1241,
"InterLATA Toll Discount Plan and Business Reimbursement Approval
Request".  I certainly won't get back anything like $700!

The most I can be reimbursed for personal calls is just under $70. And
they'll pay for any business calls I make (assuming my boss approves!).
They *won't* pay for overseas personal calls.  The money comes back to
me on my paycheck.

Now I don't know anything about "part-time computer security consultants".
He could be working for our Security organization, and who knows how
they might reimburse him.  There could be some funky credit arrangement.
But I would be quite surprised if he were getting credited one penny
more than his actual calling.

If Mr. Farris' acquaintance is working for AT&T as a snitch, then he's
being pretty stupid bragging about it.  Perhaps someone who knows this
guy should offer to call AT&T Security and let them know about his
claims.  I'd like to hear what develops.

Jack Dominey, AT&T Commercial Marketing, Tucker GA
V: (404) 496-6925 AT&T Mail: !dominey
Not empowered to speak officially for AT&T.

Michael F Eastman <mfe@ihlpy.att.com> (05/30/91)

In article <telecom11.407.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick
Farris) writes:

> Do all AT&T employees receive $700 credit on their phone bills each
> month?

Unequivocally NO. For management employees if you spend a MAX of
$100/month on long distance (AT&T, of course) you get $75 reimbursed.
Non-mangement (bargaining unit/union) employees are a little different,
but you get the idea.

Mike Eastman    att!ihlpy!mfe    (708) 979-6569
AT&T Bell Laboratories  Rm. 4F-328  Naperville, IL 60566

John Ackermann <jra@lawday.daytonoh.ncr.com> (05/30/91)

Since I don't work for AT&T (yet...) I don't have first-hand information
about this, but I've heard that AT&T management types get a credit of
something like $30.00 of free long distance per month, and some
discount on the balance.

John R. Ackermann, Jr.        Law Department, NCR Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
(513) 445-2966		      John.Ackermann@daytonoh.ncr.com
Packet Radio: ag9v@n8acv      tcp/ip: ag9v@ag9v.ampr [44.70.12.34]

Brian Charles Kohn <bicker@hoqax.att.com> (05/30/91)

[Since this is information related to a fringe benefit, and regards
only me and my own personal finances, I assume that it's okay to
discuss.  God help me if it's not.]

> Do all AT&T employees receive $700 credit on their phone bills each
> month?

No.

> A local modem hobbyist is raising quite a stir by bragging about the
> $700 credit he receives each month as a "part-time computer security
> consultant" for AT&T.

I'd assume that his work requires him to make at least $635 in phone
calls on company business on his home phone each month.  The company,
as most companies, reimburses me for any expenses I personally incur
in the course of doing company business.

> [Moderator's Note: What I've heard is that they receive either
> all or a portion of their long distance service for free;

No.  I get the first $35 reimbursed, and then a portion of the next
$65; I'm a second level manager.  I think that's the most generous of
the reimbursement programs ... friends of mine who are occupational
folk get less.

Local phone company people have a better deal (IMHO) ... I think they
get they monthly service fees covered ... and occupational folk there
get about half of their fees covered.

Brian Charles Kohn          AT&T Bell Laboratories Quality Process Center
Quality Management System   E-MAIL: att!hoqax!bicker  (bicker@hoqax.ATT.COM)
Consultant                  PHONE: (908) 949-5850        FAX: (908) 949-7724