[comp.dcom.telecom] Motorola PC-500 Problems

scott@gatech.edu> (05/21/91)

I purchased a Motorola PC-500 "flip phone" under the assumption that
Motorola phones were more or less the best.  At least this is what my
friends were telling me....

Where this is leading is that in the end I now own an OKI 900 phone
due to a multitude of problems the PC-500.  The first PC-500
programmed once at the dealer and could not be reprogrammed again,
even after the dealer reset the phone.  Basically I didn't like the
security code that was programmed.  The second phone randomly turned
itself off AND on.  The third went to no service even when standing
200ft from a cell tower!  Only a power off cycle would wake up the
phone.  In addition, one pocket of the charger didn't work.

So much for Motorola's quality program ...

P.S. The OKI has given me no problems and has a significantly better
     feature set.

Scott Stratmoen | ..!ast!freedm!scott
                | scott@freedm.dsd.northrop.com

Ron Heiby <heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> (05/24/91)

The following is being posted on behalf of someone without direct net
access.  Ron.

Saw your message about your PC-500.  You refer to a *dealer*
dissatisfaction issue.  Motorola loves its customers and your
satisfaction is our number one goal.  Publishing dissatisfaction with
us rather than the dealer is counter-productive.  You provide enough
information to infer that the phone was NOT NEW.  If used, warranty is
NOT transferrable.  Regardless, I would like to speak with you and
resolve to your satisfaction.  If your Oki was NEW and your PC-500 was
NOT NEW, I say "No Fair."  We stand behind our products and customers
 -- period!

Our quality program is second to none.  Our customers are our number
one priority.

Skip LaSaker   National Sales Manager
Motorola Cellular Group  708-576-8851

                                 --

Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod

scott@gatech.edu> (06/02/91)

In article <telecom11.412.6@eecs.nwu.edu> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com
(Ron Heiby) writes:

> Saw your message about your PC-500.  You refer to a *dealer*
> dissatisfaction issue.  Motorola loves its customers and your
> satisfaction is our number one goal.  Publishing dissatisfaction with
> us rather than the dealer is counter-productive.  You provide enough
> information to infer that the phone was NOT NEW.  If used, warranty is
> NOT transferrable.  Regardless, I would like to speak with you and
> resolve to your satisfaction.  If your Oki was NEW and your PC-500 was
> NOT NEW, I say "No Fair."  We stand behind our products and customers
> -- period!
> Our quality program is second to none.  Our customers are our number
> one priority.

Not to draw out this discussion ... but let me clear up a few things.

- In no way do I have dissatisfaction with my dealer.  The only person
  who was dissatisfied was the owner who couldn't get rid of me.

- All three of the PC-500 phones were new out of the box.  (Not sure how
  this could have been a point of confusion.)

- There is no question in my mind that customer satisfaction is a
  priority with Motorola.  The service center in Arlington Hts., IL stated
  that they would repair said phones.  I didn't want a repaired phone at
  a new price, but a new phone that worked.

- Warranty repair of a new phone out the box only one to ten hours
  (depending on which of the three phones we are discussing) is not
  justified.  The unit should just work. <- note period

After three phones in four days, I just couldn't spend anymore time
dealing with the situation.  Thus the decision to switch to another
vendor.

Post sale support of a product is a must in a competitive market.  But
reputation is made, or lost, on the basis of delivering product of the
highest quality possible off the factory floor.

Scott Stratmoen    ..!ast!freedm!scott     scott@freedm.dsd.northrop.com