[comp.dcom.telecom] Cheap 9600 bps Modem

"OCEANA::JONGSMA" <jongsma%oceana.decnet@benzie.si.com> (05/20/91)

I just came across an interesting article in a recent issue of {PC
Week}.  The following is paraphrased from the article:

     Image Communications has announced a 9600 V42/V42bis/V32 internal
     modem for a list price of $299. An external modem will be available
     in the fall for $349.

     The modem supports MNP4 and is based on the Rockwell 9696AC chipset.
     Rockwell supplies the "engine" for 75% of the modem market.

     Image is the same company that has been shipping the TwinCom
     96/24 Fax Modem.

     Image will sell this modem direct and through distributors.

     It will ship in a few weeks.

I was very impressed with the price, although the usual caveats about
buying the first run of a product apply. The cheapest 9600 modem that
I'm aware of up until now was the PM9600SA that sells mail order for
about $450. If you're looking for a cheap way of getting 38.8K
throughput, this may be the way to go. Don't expect a lot of support
from the company though. They say they'll swap units or refund your
money- no tech support. I just called them and they said they were
accepting orders (+1 201 935-8880).

Usual Disclaimers, although I probably will order one in a few weeks
after I hear some field reports.

Ken Jongsma           ken@wybbs.mi.org
Smiths Industries     jongsma@benzie.si.com
Grand Rapids, MI      73115.1041@compuserve.com

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/24/91)

Note that the original post specified V.32, not V.32bis. V.32bis is a
far better protocol and will be the industry standard for some time to
come. I suspect that folks will be dumping their stocks of V.32 modems
and prices will drop quickly. While there is nothing wrong with V.32
modems and they will interoperate with V.32bis, the performance will
not be nearly as good as with the new standard.

R. Kevin Oberman		 Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov  (415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything. Especially
anything gnu.

"S. Spencer Sun" <shihsun@phoenix.princeton.edu> (05/24/91)

In article <telecom11.389.11@eecs.nwu.edu> jongsma%oceana.decnet@
benzie.si.com (OCEANA::JONGSMA) writes:

> buying the first run of a product apply. The cheapest 9600 modem that
> I'm aware of up until now was the PM9600SA that sells mail order for
> about $450. If you're looking for a cheap way of getting 38.8K
> throughput, this may be the way to go. Don't expect a lot of support
> from the company though. They say they'll swap units or refund your
> money - no tech support. I just called them and they said they were
> accepting orders (+1 201 935-8880).

Then you haven't heard about the CompuCom, which uses a proprietary
9600 protocol and sells for $169 to sysops, not much more to
end-users.  Of course, it only does 9600 (19.2 throughput) to other
CompuComs.  but it has MNP5.

I do not have an address or phone for them though.  (I have a Dual
Standard myself.)

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (05/25/91)

> V.32bis is a far better protocal

As I understand it, V.32bis is still not an official protocol.  The
CCITT people are still "considering" it and still have not made the
proposed protocal official, although it is a foregone conclusion by
most folks that it will soon become the next modem standard.

For those who don't know, V.32bis will the standard for communication
at the real speed (not effective throughput) of 14,400bps.  And then
if you have a V.32bis modem with V.42 error correction and V.42bis
data compression, you'll have a maximum effective throughput of 56k
bps (ISDN! :).

Forval already makes a V.32bis V.42bis modem (also with MNP5) that
sells for about $1000.  I want one! :)

schuster@cmcl2.nyu.edu> (05/26/91)

In article <telecom11.397.4@eecs.nwu.edu> newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.
edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:

> As I understand it, V.32bis is still not an official protocol.  The
> CCITT people are still "considering" it and still have not made the
> proposed protocal official, although it is a foregone conclusion by
> most folks that it will soon become the next modem standard.

You are several months behind the times. It was issued as an official
CCITT recommendation in February, and had been "frozen" by the
technical committee since last fall. The only ones who are "considering"
V.32bis are companies like CompuCom who have never heard of standards. :-)

Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

tnixon@uunet.uu.net> (05/29/91)

edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:

> As I understand it, V.32bis is still not an official protocol.  The
> CCITT people are still "considering" it and still have not made the
> proposed protocal official, although it is a foregone conclusion by
> most folks that it will soon become the next modem standard.

CCITT V.17 and V.32bis were both unanimously adopted by the CCITT on
February 22, 1991.  They are presently being prepared for publication
at this time, but since there were no changes made to the "ballot
version" released last November most manufacturers have had copies of
the "final text" for a long time.

> For those who don't know, V.32bis will the standard for communication
> at the real speed (not effective throughput) of 14,400bps.  And then
> if you have a V.32bis modem with V.42 error correction and V.42bis
> data compression, you'll have a maximum effective throughput of 56k
> bps (ISDN! :).

Well, but ISDN is 64000bps raw synchronous throughput, and with V.42bis
on top of V.120 you'll see effective throughput of over 250,000bps.

> Forval already makes a V.32bis V.42bis modem (also with MNP5) that
> sells for about $1000.  I want one! :)

There are several other companies already shipping V.32bis modems,
including Digicom, Penril, Codex, Prometheus, and US Robotics, and
many that have announced the intention to do so (like Hayes).  Most of
these are under $1,000 (Penril and Codex a bit more, which is to be
expected).

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net

Patrick Hoepfner <hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov> (05/30/91)

There will soon be a quite a bunch of modems that do V.32bis, V.42bis,
and MNP 5 (For old times sake).  The US Robotics variety (Courier
V.32bis) is selling for around $600!

There is also a V.32bis, V.42bis, MNP5 and send/receive Fax modem from
Prometheus selling for around $700!

Get 'em while their hot!

Pat  --> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

nanook@eskimo.celestial.com (Robert Dinse) (06/03/91)

In article <telecom11.411.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.
gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

> There is also a V.32bis, V.42bis, MNP5 and send/receive Fax modem from
> Prometheus selling for around $700!

> Get 'em while their hot!

     Haven't had any experience with the Prometheus 9600 bauds, but
for their 2400 baud external modems, "Get 'em while their hot!" is
appropriate, I could could just about fry an egg on the ones I used to
have. I had to take the option card out of one of them or it would
hang up on people as soon as it answered.