[comp.dcom.telecom] Baud-y Bits

Al Varney <varney@ihlpf.att.com> (06/04/91)

In article <telecom11.418.1@eecs.nwu.edu> 0004133373@mcimail.com
(Donald E. Kimberlin) writes:

 [a lot of stuff about partying in Chicago, but leaves out the details!]

> But be careful: Some units, like the Baud, are used as internationally
> standardized and are capitalized anyway.  However, not only do
> telecomm people almost always write the term Baud incorrectly, they
> typically horrobly misuse it, anyway.  Your 2400 bps modem does NOT
> transmit or receive 2400 "Baud," unless you want to play word games
> about it doing so because it's operating full duplex!  Regardless,
> your 9600 NEVER transmits 9600 "Baud" in any event.)

   Well, NEVER say NEVER!  Don't forget that there are "modems" that
interface to AT&T's digital (DDS) network that really send 9600
"symbols"/second.  The DDS network doesn't convert the user's bits to
analog signals, it instead multiplexes them to a DS0-compatible 56-Kbps
bipolar format, then encodes that into a single 64-Kbps T1 channel.
The receiving end just undoes the multiplexing/encoding.  In the
interest of fairness, I should mention that almost any real carrier
will support private-line or direct-connect service of this type,
including Mr. Kimberlin's company.  Of course, maybe this doesn't fit
your idea of a "modem".

   And I agree the terms "baud" and "Baud" are mis-used by telecom
people, even "horrobly".  The "operator's manual" for my SupraModem
2400(tm) uses "bps" almost everywhere, and even defines 2400 bps as
"600 symbols per second".  But in Appendix A, "Result Codes", the
meaning of "CONNECT 2400" is "Modem has connected at 2400 baud."
Maybe you have to mis-define the code in order to be compatible with
the "industry-standard AT command set"??  What does a Hayes manual
say?

  Al Varney, AT&T Network Systems, Lisle, IL