[comp.dcom.telecom] ONA Offers New Horizons for Telesleaze

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (05/23/91)

        OK, Telesleaze fans.  Here's a really marvelous way that
opening telecommunications to competition by getting into the FCC's
mandated Open Network Architecture will brighten and benefit all our
lives. (Why is it that the worst seems to come out first?)

        It seems someone has a patent to inject advertising messages
in the silent intervals between audible ringing signals.  Worse yet,
the RBOCs seem to be all agog at this marvelous new thought about
getting revenue out of otherwise "dead air time!"

        Communications attorney Vic Toth of Reston, VA has reported
that a firm he describes as creators of a "home spun invention from a
backyard in Kansas" called Phone Spots, Inc. has the LECs "real hot"
over the idea as they meet in a group called the IILC discussing ways
and means to provide "enhancements" to local exchange switching by
creating access points in the LEC exchange.

        Toth's report indicates that telephone consumers might be
compensated for enduring this form of telesleaze by receiving a
discount on their local service bills or being given free local
payphone calls. (Of course, so far only the "techies" are talking.
The commercial office of the LECs has yet to be heard from.  From
there, I expect to hear some tripe that no, there's no kickback to
sufferers; rather, PUC permission to inflict ringing-interval
telesleaze as a "means to defer rate increases" -- for at least a
month -- will be their rationale. It's Telco Hymn number 132 for those
who want to look up the words in the LEC Hymnal.)

        Well, I guess we can anticipate a whole raft of free market
opportunities to arise from this:

   *Advertising agencies are probably already hiring vice presidents
    to place spots and research audiences in this whole new market
    segment.

   *Writers of slogans as once used on Burma-Shave signs along U.S.
    highways may once again find employment (as they will have to
    fit advertising into four-second slots betweem two-second
    audible ringing signals).

   *Hardware manufacturers can forecast their market of 14,000
    units to sell (this being the number of central offices in the
    U.S., as I recall).

   *Sellers of 900 rip-offs will have a far more economical and
    pervasive means to entice you into further telephone scams
    (Just think of listening to a 900 pitch EVERY time you place
    a call!)

   *LECs will derive yet a tertiary revenue source by tariffing a
    monthly charge to *stop* the telesleaze on your order (Do we have
    any *7n codes left for an "ad blocking" option?).

    ....and so on. The mind boggles, once the nausea subsides.

        I bet our readers at Rolling Meadows are already working on
this marvelous enhancement to our lives and well-being. However, the
STP Rule ("Sorry, That's Proprietary") probably applies, so they can't
comment. I'll speak for them:

        Bleeeecchhh!

Gordon Burditt <gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org> (05/27/91)

> It seems someone has a patent to inject advertising messages
> in the silent intervals between audible ringing signals.  Worse yet,
> the RBOCs seem to be all agog at this marvelous new thought about
> getting revenue out of otherwise "dead air time!"

I'd love to see this patent make money only by suing people who
infringe it, much like a certain company is doing with public-key
encryption.

This sounds like yet another scheme to jack up the rates for data
users.  Many modems will abort the call if they detect voice on the
line.  Ads will do wonders for call completion rates.  On the other
hand, it might fake out those blasted robot dialers that call and
deliver ads.

If you hear one of these on your line, call the telephone company and
complain about hearing someone else's conversation on your line.  Ask
if your conversations can be overheard as easily by someone else.
(Southwestern Bell seems to take audible crosstalk seriously, as
demonstrated during the first big rain after my second line was
installed.  It seems one side of my line got shorted to one side of
someone else's.  I could hear someone talking, even over dialtone.
They had someone checking on it very fast, in the middle of a
miserable thunderstorm.)  Then call the advertiser's 800 line (any 800
line they happen to have) and complain.  Also call the telephone
company business office and hold them responsible for the content of
the ads.  Try to get them to make good on the warranty.  It won't do
any good, but maybe the jump in customer-service calls will convince
them that ads are a bad idea.  One complaint for each non-complaint
call you make seems about right.

Gordon L. Burditt    sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (05/27/91)

Gordon Burditt <gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org> writes:

> This sounds like yet another scheme to jack up the rates for data
> users.  Many modems will abort the call if they detect voice on the
> line.  Ads will do wonders for call completion rates.

Yes, indeed. Most sleazeTel LD companies use "software answer
supervision" for determining when to start the clock on billing. The
routines depend on voice detection to "guess" at supervision. If it
hears any SIT, then the call is considered failed and no billing is
done. On the other hand, if the asymetrical patterns of voice are
detected, the call is assumed to be complete and charging begins.
COCOTs also use this scheme.

Currently, there is a major problem dealing with unavailable cellular
phones. Most cellular providers do not use the SIT, but have a dry
announcement stating that the called phone is not available. Any
carrier not using hardware answer supervision will bill for the call.
This would also occur for every call that had commercial matter
between rings.

And imagine this: you reach for your ringing phone after only one ring
and you get a recording that says, "the person trying to reach you is
still listening to an important announcement. Please hold until you are
connected."

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (05/28/91)

In article <telecom11.391.4@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

>        It seems someone has a patent to inject advertising messages
> in the silent intervals between audible ringing signals.  Worse yet,
> the RBOCs seem to be all agog at this marvelous new thought about
> getting revenue out of otherwise "dead air time!"

I read about this several years ago when it first came out.  It turns
out that most of the technology is involved in injecting the
advertisements at the caller's end, even though the ring is generated
at the callee's end.

The thought was that for a discount on the monthly service rate, a
subscriber would consent to be subjected to ads.  It seems to have
occured to them that just sticking ads into rings heard by random
callers would generate considerable ill will for the advertisers.  For
that matter, I don't know why companies with DID PBXes don't put their
own ads into the ring sound now -- it wouldn't be technically hard.
(Attention marketeers: Patent pending, don't try it. :-)

I don't know why it's suddenly coming back now, except perhaps that
the last of the old Bell System managers who thought of the phone
company as a service are retiring, and the new ones have less shame.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ncoast.org> (06/04/91)

As quoted from <telecom11.406.5@eecs.nwu.edu> by johnl@iecc.cambridge.
ma.us (John R. Levine):

(about advertizing between rings)
>  I don't know why it's suddenly coming back now, except perhaps that
>  the last of the old Bell System managers who thought of the phone
>  company as a service are retiring, and the new ones have less shame.

I dunno, but it's been a progressive disease around here.  First they
combined the time and weather services, then they added advertising,
then they moved it to a 900 number and put a current-time-and-temperature
announcement on the old number with an advertisement for the 900
number (and, of course, they try to bore you off the phone before
telling you how much it co$t$).  I expect ads in the ring sequence wil
be next.  :-(

At least they haven't figured out how to charge me for punching in
162.550 on my HT.  :-)

Me: Brandon S. Allbery			 KF8NH: DC to LIGHT!  [44.70.4.88]
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		 Delphi: ALLBERY
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery

[Moderator's Note: Hadn't you heard that NOAA was going to begin
selling advertising space on that mobious loop tape they play over and
over for an hour at a time?   Its true!  :)  Of course it is. :)   PAT]