[comp.dcom.telecom] International 800 access

ken@sharkey.cc.umich.edu> (05/30/91)

For what it's worth: Two years ago, I was in Australia and was unable
to use USA Direct to reach a domestic US 800 number. However, several
months ago, I was in the UK and had no problems with USA Direct.

The AT&T operator placed the call with no questions asked. Billing was
as the Moderator described. I paid for the international leg, the
callee paid for the domestic portion. It caught me off gaurd when the
bill arrived, as the international portion showed up as some place in
Pennsylvania.

Dialing that number reached an AT&T recording explaining the billing
was for an internationally placed 800 call - a nice touch!

Ken

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (05/31/91)

In article <telecom11.412.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, Ken Jongsma <wybbs!ken@sharkey.
cc.umich.edu> writes:

> For what it's worth: Two years ago, I was in Australia and was unable
> to use USA Direct to reach a domestic US 800 number. However, several
> months ago, I was in the UK and had no problems with USA Direct.

Does USA Direct take Visa?  Last time I tried this, they only took
AT&T cards, so if you didn't have an account with AT&T you were out of
luck.

D.Heale@ee.surrey.ac.uk (06/04/91)

	Attempts to dial American 800 numbers from the UK sometimes
give one of two recorded messages (otherwise they just give number
unobtainable tone). The messages are:

"The number you have dialled is unobtainable, please check the number
and try again," and "Your international call could not be completed as
dialled, please check the number and try again 2EN".

	Both of these imply that the user has missdialled rather than
international calls to the number being blocked. Presumably there is a
table of valid area codes at one of the international exchanges and
any code not listed returns these messages, whether it is non-existant
or blocked.

David Heale