[comp.dcom.telecom] CRe: Cellular One Dialing Procedures

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (06/04/91)

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> wrote:

>> "All of our switches are programmed from Toronto, thus you can't
>> talk to the guy in charge of switch programming."

> That's a good one. I guess if the programmers are actually in Toronto,
> there are no telephone circuits there so it would be impossible to
> talk to them. On the other hand, GTE's switches are programmed from
> Houston and I have talked to programmers for that company.

Yes - here in Toronto we all use tin cans and string (digital string
of course).

Now the curious question is why Cellular One's switches would be
programmed here.  The only switch maker I know in Toronto is Northern
Telecom.  Or is it perhaps that Cellular One is owned by a Toronto
based company ?  Cantel (the nation-wide "A" carrier) is into all
sorts of other technical ventures.  Perhaps they're the culprit.

Tony H.