[comp.dcom.telecom] One City With Two Area Codes

Ken Levitt <levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org> (05/17/91)

We have a new software product that provides office and practice
management for veterinarians.  Because the users of the system are
often low level clerical staff with no prior exposure to computers,
our system makes every possible attempt to verify all data entry
fields.

When the system is first installed, the system administrator builds a
database of cities in the area.  One field in the database contains
the area code.  When a phone number is entered, the system requires
that the area code matches the area code for that city.

All this worked fine until today when a new client informed me that
Westlake Village, CA has two area codes (805/818).  This was something
that I had never considered possible.

My choices are either to hard code a check for that one city in the
program, or change the database structure and modify the program to
account for this happening again in another city.

Are there other cities in the country with two area codes?  If I sell
another 500 copies of my program, how likely am I to run across
another one of them?

Ken Levitt - On FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
UUCP: zorro9!levitt
INTERNET: levitt%zorro9.uucp@talcott.harvard.edu

[Moderator's Note: I'd think that with the numerous area code splits
going on in metro areas, your scenario could become quite common. How
does your program now deal with (post office) New York, NY?  At the
outer edges of suburbia here, some communities sit right on the
815/708 line, including Fox Lake and Lockport/Romeoville, IL.  PAT]

cowan@uunet.uu.net> (05/20/91)

In article <telecom11.375.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, levitt@zorro9.fidonet.
org (Ken Levitt) writes:

> Are there other cities in the country with two area codes?  If I sell
> another 500 copies of my program, how likely am I to run across
> another one of them?

And Our Esteemed Moderator Notes:

> I'd think that with the numerous area code splits
> going on in metro areas, your scenario could become quite common. How
> does your program now deal with (post office) New York, NY?

As an inhabitant of (post office) New York, NY, I make haste to inform
you that that locality has only one area code: 212, also shared by
Bronx, NY.

The 718 area code is divided into the USPS localities of Brooklyn, NY;
Flushing, NY; Jamaica, NY; Rockaway, NY; and Staten Island, NY.  There
may be one other which slips my mind at the moment.

However, as a general principle of database design, I think it would
be better to redesign the program to admit of more than one area code
within a postal locality.  When coding systems are assigned by two
distinct authorities (USPS and Bellcore), it would be foolish to
assume a perfect 1-1 correspondence at all points.

cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (05/21/91)

(Ken Levitt) writes:

> ...When a phone number is entered, the system requires
> that the area code matches the area code for that city.

> All this worked fine until today when a new client informed me that
> Westlake Village, CA has two area codes (805/818).  This was something
> that I had never considered possible.

Our dog visits a veterinarian in Summit, NJ.  The doctor's office is
on Route 24, the line between Summit, and Short Hills.  This is now
also the line between area codes 908 and 201.  The adjacent town of
Springfield is split between these area codes, in case you're planning
to hard-code some exceptions!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

Scott Barman <scott@nbc1.ge.com> (05/29/91)

In article <telecom11.381.10@eecs.nwu.edu>:

> In article <telecom11.375.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, levitt@zorro9.fidonet.
> org (Ken Levitt) writes:

>> Are there other cities in the country with two area codes?  If I sell
>> another 500 copies of my program, how likely am I to run across
>> another one of them?

> And Our Esteemed Moderator Notes:

>> I'd think that with the numerous area code splits
>> going on in metro areas, your scenario could become quite common. How
>> does your program now deal with (post office) New York, NY?

> As an inhabitant of (post office) New York, NY, I make haste to inform
> you that that locality has only one area code: 212, also shared by
> Bronx, NY.

> The 718 area code is divided into the USPS localities of Brooklyn, NY;
> Flushing, NY; Jamaica, NY; Rockaway, NY; and Staten Island, NY.  There
> may be one other which slips my mind at the moment.

It was announced not too long ago that the Bronx will be changed to
718 so that Manhattan will be the only borough with the 212 area code.
Also, NY Tel also announced that a new area code (918, I think) will
be used for cellular phones and beepers in New York City (with the
possibility of bleed over into Long Island).  I don't remember when
this was announced nor do I remember when this was to take effect (I
think 1/93).

This should throw these databases off quite a bit!!  :-)

scott barman	scott@nbc1.ge.com
(This does not represent any opinions of NBC or affiliates)

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (06/04/91)

That is 917 (not 918) to be used for cellular/beeper in NYC.  918 is
in use in Oklahoma, including Tulsa.

Linc Madison <linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu> (06/05/91)

In article <telecom11.412.7@eecs.nwu.edu> Scott Barman (scott@nbc1.ge.
com) writes:

> It was announced not too long ago that the Bronx will be changed to
> 718 so that Manhattan will be the only borough with the 212 area code.
> Also, NY Tel also announced that a new area code (917) will
> be used for cellular phones and beepers in New York City ...

Does anyone have a list of prefixes in 212/718?  Is it really true
that none of the 212 prefixes in the Bronx are duplicated in 718?  If
so, then either NY Tel anticipated this situation (in which case, why
didn't they just throw the Bronx into 718 in the original split?) or
they got astoundingly lucky.  Also, a quick look at the NPA/NXX list
shows 718 with about 400 prefixes in use, and 212 with about 660.  If
even 1/3 of the prefixes in 212 are Bronx exchanges, it won't be long
before 718 gets split again.

Linc Madison  =  linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu