[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Legend About Cyrus Field

mat@uunet.uu.net (06/05/91)

In Vol 11, Issue 373, Donald E. Kimberlin writes:

>        Suffice it to say in this short note that Cyrus Field, the
> American that U.S. history books start their submarine telegraphy
> history with, was a businessman, not a technologist ...  Field really
> got his technology (and eventually his capital) from England.

I know at least one legend on this note.  Verse VI of *Peter Cooper's
Table at McSorley's Bar* runs:

		Peter Cooper's cable was the third unreeled.
		Most of all the credit went to Cyrus Field,
		But canny Peter Cooper made the durn thing yield.
		Is it any wonder that he died well-heeled?

(Peter Cooper was a 19th century New York industrialist and philanthropist
who sunk most of his considerable glue and iron fortunes into what he
planned to call ``The Union for the Advancement of Science and Art'',
and which was incorporated over his objections as ``The Cooper Union for
the Advancement ...'' It's still giving full scholarship educations in
engineering, architecture and art ... yes, on Cooper Square right around
the corner from McSorley's Old Alehouse.)

(This man's opinions are his own.)
 From mole-end				Mark Terribile