[comp.dcom.telecom] PacBell Does Something Right

Donald Ekman <ekman%wdl30@wdl1.wdl.loral.com> (05/31/91)

Today Pacific Bell came to my house to install the second line that I
ordered two days ago.

They replaced the old cable from the pole to the house with a new,
two-line cable.  They replaced the old box with the new "Telephone
Network Interface," which is a box in which my internal lines connect
to a terminal block, which, in turn, connects to the telco line via a
modular jack and plug.  Just the thing for isolating problems to
either my in-house wiring, or the telco line.

It took exactly five minutes to connect my modem to the new line, and
another two minutes to test the whole thing.  Pac Bell, for once, did
something right.  You see this, John Higdon?  :-)

Donald E. Ekman           | Disclaimer:  Loral
Space Systems/Loral       | doesn't think I have
Palo Alto, CA  USA        | any opinions.  They
ekman@wdl30.wdl.loral.com | are probably right.

"Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole@csli.stanford.edu> (06/02/91)

You're lucky. I had to really work hard to convince the installers
that they should rip out several generations of interface boxes and
clean it all up with a six-line box for me and a two-line box for the
guy downstairs (we share a garage in which the boxes are located).

The installers told me that while it is in the company's interest to
introduce the new telephone network interface boxes as much as
possible, it is *not* in the installers' interest, as the nifty new
boxes reduce service calls for which these guys get paid.

One bad thing that they did do and I did not discover until after they
were done: In order to get all my lines installed they had to pull out
the existing five-pair underground cable and replace it with two
five-pair cables (or so I thought). Since the conduit was so tight (it
took them five hours to pull the 60 feet or so to the nearest pole)
they "cheated" and intstalled a three-pair plus a five-pair. I have
six lines, the other guy has two. 3 + 5 = 8 and 6 + 2 = 8, so now
there is no room for expansion!

Ole J Jacobsen, Editor & Publisher ConneXions--The Interoperability Report
Interop, Inc., 480 San Antonio Road, Suite 100, Mountain View, CA 94040,
Phone: (415) 941-3399  FAX: (415) 949-1779  Email: ole@csli.stanford.edu
Direct: (415) 962-2515

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (06/03/91)

Donald Ekman <ekman%wdl30@wdl1.wdl.loral.com> writes:

> It took exactly five minutes to connect my modem to the new line, and
> another two minutes to test the whole thing.  Pac Bell, for once, did
> something right.  You see this, John Higdon?  :-)

Yes, it certainly makes perfect sense for PacBell to remove your old
drop, replace it with two-line overhead drop, and install a modern
demark when you added ONE (1) line. On the other hand, it also
apparently makes sense to the powers that be at PacBell to have an
entire corner of my house covered with six types of protectors and ten
haphazard single-line drops feeding them.

A recently suggested theory is that this is PacBell's infliction of
punishment for my having so many lines. Now for $300/month, it could
all be provided on T1. Hmmmm .... could it be a sales pressure tactic?

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (06/05/91)

In article <telecom11.420.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John
Higdon) writes:

[regarding Pac*Bell's installation of ten individual single-pair drops
on his residence]

> A recently suggested theory is that this is PacBell's infliction of
> punishment for my having so many lines. Now for $300/month, it could
> all be provided on T1. Hmmmm .... could it be a sales pressure tactic?
                         ^^^^^
                           ^
                           ^
Hey, John, is looks like one of your ten single-drop loops may be
unbalanced!

Is that $300/month in addition to the monthly rate for service on the
ten loops?

Dave Levenson	     Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.	     UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA	     AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (06/06/91)

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> writes:

> Hey, John, is looks like one of your ten single-drop loops may be
> unbalanced!

The ONE thing I cannot complain about regarding my marginal phone
service is the transmission quality. There are no buzzes, clicks,
hums, or other noises of any kind. On any line.

> Is that $300/month in addition to the monthly rate for service on the
> ten loops?

But of course. Only Pac*Bell can so cheerfully charge you, and then
charge you again. If you order a phone in a distant city and have it
delivered to you via T1 on which you pay mileage, Pac*Bell will also
tack on FOREIGN EXCHANGE charges!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !