[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI's $20 Promotion

Jim.Redelfs@uunet.uu.net (Jim Redelfs) (06/03/91)

Rick Anderson wrote:

[Regarding MCI's $20 check - the endorsement of which grants them permission
to change your PIC (long distance carrier) to MCI]

> is it legally feasible to cross out this endorsement message, sign
> the check, collect the $20, and then legally expect to not be
> switched over to MCI?

To which Pat replied:

> As soon as you cross out the special endorsement you no longer have
> the right to cash the check which was issued as payment for your
> having given permission to change your phones. When you withheld your
> permission, you had no right to the money.

I agree with that, Pat.

After I (recently) received my check from MCI, I did some thinking -
AND some calling to the US WEST Communications Business Office.

I did not see among the promotional literature that accompanied the
check anything that indicated a TIME constraint - how long one MUST
remain with MCI following the cashing of the check/cutover to MCI.

"We" charge $5 (total) to change a customer's long distance carrier.
I wonder if MCI will allow THE CUSTOMER to pay that charge (out of the
$20 check)?  I assume so.  So the net value of the check is reduced to
$15.

After a period of time, the customer could initiate a PIC-change to
another carrier, incurring yet another $5 charge by the RBOC.  At that
point, the net value of MCI's promotion to the end user is a CLEAR,
$10!

Not a bad deal, really.  It just depends on how much value one places on his/
her time - to place the PIC-change order.

JR
  --- Tabby 2.2
  MacNet Omaha 402-289-2899 On loan from Mrs MacWidow (1:285/14)

Ron Dippold <rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com> (06/06/91)

In article <telecom11.423.6@eecs.nwu.edu>  ivgate!macnet!jim.redelfs@
uunet.uu.net writes:

[Regarding MCI's $20 check - the endorsement of which grants them
permission to change your PIC (long distance carrier) to MCI] ...

> "We" charge $5 (total) to change a customer's long distance
> carrier. I wonder if MCI will allow THE CUSTOMER to pay that charge
> (out of the $20 check)?  I assume so.  So the net value of the check
> is reduced to >$15.  After a period of time, the customer could
> initiate a PIC-change to another carrier, incurring yet another $5
> charge by the RBOC.  At that point, the net value of MCI's promotion
> to the end user is a CLEAR, $10!  Not a bad deal, really.  It just
> depends on how much value one places on his/ her time - to place the
> PIC-change order.

I imagine that MCI is willing to take the risk that once you've
switched over to their service that you will be so impressed that
you'll want to stay forever.  Not unlike those record clubs.

And if they _did_ stipulate that you couldn't switch back to AT&T or
Sprint, that would appear as if they were unconfident of their
service, and people wouldn't go for the offer because they wouldn't
have a choice.

So they weigh the risk that you'll do two quick switches, losing them
$20, against the odds that you'll stay on as a customer, gaining them
quite a bit in the long run, they hope.

Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.  |  Ron Dippold

John Eaton <johne@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com> (06/07/91)

> After a period of time, the customer could initiate a PIC-change to
> another carrier, incurring yet another $5 charge by the RBOC.  At that
> point, the net value of MCI's promotion to the end user is a CLEAR,
> $10!

> Not a bad deal, really.  It just depends on how much value one
> places on his / her time - to place the PIC-change order.

Better go back and read the fine print. You are agreeing to sign up
for MCI's PLUS program which charges you a fee of $7.50 a month. If
you can do it in a single month you only make $2.50.

Getting out of these programs is not as easy as one might think. Last
March I called the ATT customer disservice line and asked to be taken
off the Reach Out America plan. The charge was still on the April bill
so I called again. Ditto for May. I'm as patient as the next man but
if it is still there in June then we are going to war. If anyone has
any hints on the best way to attack a problem like this then please
let me know.

John Eaton    !hp-vcd!johne