[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Card Calls From Canada

Maurice R Baker <jj1028@homxc.att.com> (06/06/91)

After the recent spate of articles about "ringing tones around the
world" and "a view of telephone service in the U.K.", I thought that I
would share my recent telephonic experience while visiting Toronto,
Ontario, Canada earlier this week.

I had occasion to make a few business and personal calls back home to
the U.S., and opted for the "Bell" payphone in the lobby of the Westin
Harbour Castle Hotel to avoid the $1.00 'service' charge on each call
from my room.

I used both my AT&T Universal Card and AT&T Calling Card, with
identical results:

Dial the number as 0+XXX+YYY+ZZZZ.
Wait for the "bong", and enter my card number/pin.
After a few seconds, get a synthesized (or recorded) message:
	"Please hold for operator assistance"
Then a ringback or two, followed by a real live human operator:
	"Please hold for card verification"
I could hear her keying in something from the buttons clicking.
Frequently I would then hear a spurt of (what sounded to me) 2600 Hz.
	perhaps as a trunk was seized.
Then another "bong" tone, with some more audible keyboard pressing.
Finally, the operator would say:
	"I'll put your call through now"
Optionally followed by "have a nice day" or whatever, but never
	"Thank you for using Bell Canada"

I interpret this to mean that Network Interconnect between U.S. and
Canada has not been completely implemented, and CCS7 messages can't be
automatically exchanged across the border yet to the AT&T NCPs, etc.

Of more immediate interest is the question:

Will I (should I) be charged for an operator-assisted call even though
I dialed the called-party and my credit card/pin number myself?

M. R. Baker     AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel
homxc!jj1028  -or-  jj1028 at homxc.att.com

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (06/08/91)

In article <telecom11.431.4@eecs.nwu.edu> M. R. Baker writes:

> Dial the number as 0+XXX+YYY+ZZZZ.
> Wait for the "bong", and enter my card number/pin.
> After a few seconds, get a synthesized (or recorded) message:
>	"Please hold for operator assistance"

> I interpret this to mean that Network Interconnect between U.S. and
> Canada has not been completely implemented, and CCS7 messages can't be
> automatically exchanged across the border yet to the AT&T NCPs, etc.

At least in British Columbia, it is automatic.  I've called from the phone
at the ski lodge at the top of the mountain at Whistler to Los Angeles,
using my AT&T Calling Card.  Just 0+213+xxx+xxxx, wait for kabong, then my
card number.  The call then went right through, just like in the U.S.  This
was about two years ago.

My card was a "Traditional" Calling Card, related to my phone number.
Perhaps the Universal Cards and the new random calling cards are not supported
in an automated fasion by the current system.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu