[comp.dcom.telecom] 908 Area Code Switchover

Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com> (05/31/91)

Just a reminder that New Jersey's 908 area code becomes mandatory on
Saturday, June 8, 1991 at 2 A.M.  This affects 1.5 million phones (314
exchanges) in central New Jersey, formerly part of 201.  The area code
has been available since January 1990.  As of Saturday you will get a
recording if you still dial 201.

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (06/04/91)

I believe the 908 area code became available in January 1991 (not
1990).

Paul S R Chisholm <psrc%jupiter@epic.att.com> (06/07/91)

Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com> writes:

> Just a reminder that New Jersey's 908 area code becomes mandatory on
> Saturday, June 8, 1991 at 2 A.M.  This affects 1.5 million phones
> (314 exchanges) in central New Jersey, formerly part of 201.  The
> area code has been available since January 1990.  As of Saturday you
> will get a recording if you still dial 201.

(I think it's been mostly working since June 1990, though certain
operations in the network didn't accept 908 until January 1991.)

I'm typing this on Friday (10 a.m. EDT), and my office mate just made
a discovery: from a phone in 908, trying to dial a number that will
still be 201 tomorrow results in the following message: "Your call
cannot be completed as dialed.  Please check the number and try again.
201-2T."

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
paul.s.r.chisholm@att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (06/08/91)

In article <telecom11.425.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB)
writes:

> I believe the 908 area code became available in January 1991 (not
> 1990).

908 became _available_ to some of us in January of 1990.  It was
available to all by June of 1990.  It became official (documented) in
January of 1991, and will become mandatory June 8, 1991!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857