[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI $20 Promotion

andersonr@ncar.ucar.edu> (05/31/91)

I believe MCI is currently undergoing a nationwide promotion whereby
they will give you $20 if you switch over to them as your primary
carrier.  I recently received a check in the mail from MCI for $20.
The check was a normal check on the front, but on the back, it said if
I endorsed and cashed the check, I would be switched over to MCI.

My question to the net: is it legally feasible to cross out this
endorsement message, sign the check, collect the $20, and then legally
expect to not be switched over to MCI??

I realize they will probably switch you over regardless of what you
do, but by crossing out the endorsement message, haven't you taken
away the "ok" for them to switch you over?

Rick Anderson    AG Communication Systems

 ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!gtephx!andersonr
 ...!att!gtephx!andersonr
 ...!uunet!zardoz!hrc!gtephx!andersonr

[Moderator's Note: As soon as you cross out the special endorsement
you no longer have the right to cash the check which was issued as
payment for your having given permission to change your phones. When
you withheld your permission, you had no right to the money. And
please, no one needs to reply saying 'you have the right to keep
things of value which arrive in the mail unsolicited'. This was not
'something of value'. It was a contract they were requesting you to
sign in exchange for immediate payment for doing so.  Big difference.  PAT]

Doctor Math <drmath@viking.uucp> (06/02/91)

asuvax!gtephx!andersonr@ncar.ucar.edu (Rick Anderson) writes:

> I believe MCI is currently undergoing a nationwide promotion whereby
> they will give you $20 if you switch over to them as your primary
> carrier.  I recently received a check in the mail from MCI for $20.
> The check was a normal check on the front, but on the back, it said if
> I endorsed and cashed the check, I would be switched over to MCI.

> My question to the net: is it legally feasible to cross out this
> endorsement message, sign the check, collect the $20, and then legally
> expect to not be switched over to MCI??

> [Moderator's Note: As soon as you cross out the special endorsement
> you no longer have the right to cash the check which was issued as
> payment for your having given permission to change your phones. . . .]

What if your BOC requires carrier changes in writing from YOU, the customer?

[Moderator's Note: If your teleco requires written notices of changes,
then MCI would comply by sending them the endorsement you signed on
the chedk. That would serve as the written notice.     PAT]

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (06/03/91)

Rick Anderson <asuvax!gtephx!andersonr@ncar.ucar.edu> writes:

> My question to the net: is it legally feasible to cross out this
> endorsement message, sign the check, collect the $20, and then legally
> expect to not be switched over to MCI??

If you want to be extra sleazy (and let your conscience be your
guide), the following scam will work and will not cost you any money.
It assumes existing service with PacBell and AT&T (mileage with other
providers may vary ...)

First, notify PacBell that you suspect that MCI is about to slam your
service. A note will go into your records that you made the call and
the normal charges to switch the account (in case the "slamming"
occurs) will be waived. Then call AT&T and tell them the same thing.
AT&T will for some fixed period repeatedly place PIC orders, changing
your service back to AT&T. If it already is AT&T, the order is
ignored.  If not (and is MCI), your PIC will be switched back to AT&T.
You will not be charged by PacBell because of the previous call the
that business office.

How do I know this will work? Recently, I had some dealings with a
reseller who I expected to pull just such a trick (change my PIC). I
called PacBell, who said that while nothing could be done to stop
such an order, a note could be made in my records to allow the
switches of the PIC without charge. At the same time, AT&T offered to
repeatedly put through PIC change orders to specify AT&T. I was told
to check for PIC and if I found that it was changed to call AT&T or
PacBell immediately.

> I realize they will probably switch you over regardless of what you
> do, but by crossing out the endorsement message, haven't you taken
> away the "ok" for them to switch you over?

Remember, there is nothing to stop you from switching back, unless the
"contract" states that acceptance of the money requires you to
languish with MCI for some period of time.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

res@cis.ohio-state.edu> (06/03/91)

> [Moderator's Note: As soon as you cross out the special endorsement
> you no longer have the right to cash the check which was issued as
> payment for your having given permission to change your phones. When
> you withheld your permission, you had no right to the money. And
> please, no one needs to reply saying 'you have the right to keep
> things of value which arrive in the mail unsolicited'. This was not
> 'something of value'. It was a contract they were requesting you to
> sign in exchange for immediate payment for doing so.  Big difference.  PAT]

Pat,

Put the shoe on the other foot: Suppose I wrote on the back of a check
to MCI, in payment of a regular monthly bill: "By depositing this
check, MCI agrees, for the value received, to provide the issuer of
said check with phone service for the rest of his natural life, with
no additional charges to be incurred."  Are you really saying that if
MCI should happen to not catch this and cashes the check, that they
have entered into this contract?  And if they do catch it, cross out
the verbage and deposit the check anyway, are they guilty of some
heinous crime?  Then, what makes you or I different from MCI?

I am not a lawyer, and neither are you.  I have tried very diligently
to get an answer to this question (not related to the MCI offer,
incidently) and the best that I could ascertain was that it is far
from a clearly defined point of contract law.  I may morally agree
with what you say, but I don't believe it would make a strong case in
a court of law.

Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp
(osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

Robert.Savery@uunet.uu.net> (06/04/91)

In a message of <30 May 91 20:26:50>, Rick Anderson writes:

> I believe MCI is currently undergoing a nationwide promotion whereby
> they will give you $20 if you switch over to them as your primary
> carrier.  I recently received a check in the mail from MCI for $20.
> The check was a normal check on the front, but on the back, it said if
> I endorsed and cashed the check, I would be switched over to MCI.

> My question to the net: is it legally feasible to cross out this
> endorsement message, sign the check, collect the $20, and then legally
> expect to not be switched over to MCI??

Legally I don't know. But since everyone agrees that "getting it in
writing" is the best way to kill slamming, and MCI'll have it in ink,
you should be switched.

I'd go ahead and cash the check. Then, after you're switched to MCI,
call the Telco and switch back to your carrier of choice. If your
Telco charges the same as US West in Omaha does ( $5.00 per switch),
you'll make a $10.00 profit.

Or, since the Telco is so used to slamming calls, you can call and
claim you didn't order the switch. Chances are you'll get full credit.
But I didn't suggest that! ;-)

Then again, since I have my account flagged to never ever be switched
with out my going down to the office, I just might make $20.

Now, if MCI'll just send me the promo!

Bob

 msged 1.99S ZTC
 [200:5010/666.5@Metronet] Trebor's Castle, Lavista Ne.

[Moderator's Note: He could *claim* he did not order the switch, but
his signature on the check would be produced by MCI to demonstrate he
certainly knew something was going to happen.    PAT]

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Mike Riddle) (06/04/91)

In <telecom11.420.2@eecs.nwu.edu> colnet!res@cis.ohio-state.edu (Rob
Stampfli) writes:

>> [Moderator's Note: As soon as you cross out the special endorsement
>> you no longer have the right to cash the check which was issued as
>> payment for your having given permission to change your phones.
>> [deleted]

>> It was a contract they were requesting you to
>> sign in exchange for immediate payment for doing so.  Big difference.  PAT]

> I am not a lawyer, and neither are you.  I have tried very diligently
> to get an answer to this question (not related to the MCI offer,
> incidently) and the best that I could ascertain was that it is far
> from a clearly defined point of contract law.  I may morally agree
> with what you say, but I don't believe it would make a strong case in
> a court of law.

Well, I'm a law school graduate but not yet admitted to any state bar,
so I guess this is just going to be over-educated ramblings, but
here's my two cents worth.

The issue of endorsements on the back of checks is subject to the
Uniform Commercial Code and is, as the last poster suggested, not
entirely clear.  "It Depends" is the best answer one can give,
separate from the specific facts in a case.

When I received the MCI offer recently, the qualification was also on
the front of the check and an enclosed letter clearly explained the
offer.  I don't know, of course, if this format was followed anywhere
else, but in my semi-professional opinion, if /I/ had endorsed the
check, I would have been accepting their offer to switch.

Which I didn't, for reasons which will remain my own.

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |  Nebraska Inns of Court
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |  +1 402 593 1192
Sysop of 1:285/27@Fidonet            |  3/12/24/9600/8N1/V.32/V.42bis

Guy R Berentsen <guy@ihlpf.att.com> (06/06/91)

1.) The version I recieved was pushing a service package with a
monthly fee, so even If I switched back I would be liable for all or
part of the monthly fee.

2.) Some of the fine print said that I would have to pay the BOC fee to
switch.

3.) After the part of the agreement that said I would selecting MCI as
my primary long distance carrier by signing the check, there was more
fine print that said If I select more than one carrier none of my
selections would be considered valid. To me this sounds like one could
cash the check, but invalidate the selection wihtout technically
violating the agreement. Of course, that would certainly violate the
spirit of the agreement, and could cost more than $20 if you have to
pay several switch over fees.

ts@cup.portal.com (06/06/91)

Let me see if I understand this offer from MCI.  If I am willing to
prefix all my long distance calls with 10288, I can stay with AT&T
but get a free $20 from MCI?  Is this right?

Sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me!

Tim Smith

IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (06/09/91)

In Telecom Digest V. 11 # Rob Stampfli <colnet!res@cis.ohio-state.edu>
says:

> I am not a lawyer, and neither are you.  I have tried very diligently
> to get an answer to this question (not related to the MCI offer,
> incidently) and the best that I could ascertain was that it is far
> from a clearly defined point of contract law.  I may morally agree
> with what you say, but I don't believe it would make a strong case in
> a court of law.

I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER ... But that doesn't stop me
from shooting my keyboard off.....

While a mere undergraduate at the fine institution that hosts this
excellent forum, I took a course in Business Law (so named).  In that
course, I was instructed, and confirmed in the tome of all such great
knowledge (The textbook by Weast), that, according to the Uniform
Commercial Code: In cases where the payment of a bill or other such
compensation for a contract is IN DISPUTE, one can indicate on the
check, (or include a statement attached to some other item of value so
designated), something to the effect that the check, (or item) is
payment for all debts, past and present.

If the party owed payment accepts the check or item (a pen was given
as example), then its over, they got paid, and that's that.  Note the
two sections in all caps.  I'm not a lawyer, I took that course ten
years ago, and the part about dispute is the key. If there was no
legitimate dispute due to variations in the terms of the contract,
then you're gonna look mighty foolish in court trying to use a cheap
device to wheedle out of the deal. That I think gets at the heart of
the matter.

Advice on the clock: Don't try this with commercial contracts, Holmes,
unless you really know what you're doing.  I would guess that with the
MCI slam check, a judge may attempt to simply reach the status quo,
i.e., they give you control of your phone service back, and you give
them their $20 back.

Andy Jacobson<izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu> or <izzyas1@UCLAMVS.bitnet>

[Moderator's Note: As you noted, 'satisfaction amd accord' is a very
tricky area. Without some legitimate written correspondence outlining
your DISPUTE, and something from the other side indicating a
willingness to accept partial payment as full satisfaction, the court
is quite likely to rule that you unjustly enriched yourself at the
expense of MCI.  Remember also that when remittances go to a lockbox,
the courts have said more than once that a minimum-wage employee for
the bank processing hundreds of checks daily as agent for the bank's
customers cannot bind the bank's customer to any agreement.

A lawyer here in Chicago tried that stunt with Diner's Club: he owed
them a thousand dollars on his bill, and sent them ten dollars marked
'payment in full'. It went through the lockbox, and later on, Diner's
tried to collect the balance, eventually placing him with an agency
when he kept resisting further payment.  Finally, Diner's returned his
ten dollars and sued him for the full amount. The Attorney
Registration and Disciplinary Committee found out and the guy damn
near lost his license to practice law here. The ARDC told him, "you
are an attorney and you know better than that ... you don't stiff your
creditors and abuse some eighteen-year old kid working for Diner's
lockbox remittance processing center."  ARDC complaints about judges
and attornies here go directly to the Supreme Court for administrative
review, and the court accepted the ARDC ruling completely, especially
since the guy was an attorney.  PAT]