[comp.dcom.telecom] Visit to California

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (06/04/91)

I'm just back from Los Angeles.  Various remarks:

Vista United (already noted for Disney World in Florida?) is the
default long distance carrier from Disneyland in Anaheim.

0+NPA+7D and 0+7D apparently both work for 0+ within 213.

I think I heard "GTE" as local carrier for an intra-LATA 0+ call I
made.  Would the default carrier be GTE or PacBell as the case may be
(depending on where you are calling from) for intra-LATA?

The latest phone books (PacBell) in L.A. area discuss both new area
codes in California:

415/510 -- points out that the boundary is easy to remember (the S.F.
Bay).

213/310 -- prefix list provided for 213 with asterisk to show if a
prefix or range of prefixes is moving to 310.  There is a 310 PREFIX
(huh?) listed for Santa Monica, which is moving to 310.  The only
prefixes staying in 213 will be Los Angeles (including FX lines
serving places which are otherwise in 818 and in the future 310) and
Montebello.  Everything else in the present 213 will move to 310.
(The L.A. airport, which is in the Inglewood exchange along the ocean,
will move to 310.)

I should also mention there is a West Los Angeles exchange which is
not to be confused with Los Angeles, as West Los Angeles is being put
in 310.

IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (06/09/91)

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> writes:

> 213/310 -- prefix list provided for 213 with asterisk to show if a
> prefix or range of prefixes is moving to 310.  There is a 310 PREFIX
> (huh?) listed for Santa Monica, which is moving to 310.  The only
> prefixes staying in 213 will be Los Angeles (including FX lines
> serving places which are otherwise in 818 and in the future 310) and

The 310 prefix is for GTE internal offices. No subscriber lines are on
this prefix. Very few of these numbers are ever given out to the
public.  Several I know are translations of 800 numbers for various
flavors of customer service. It will be curious to see if this prefix
persists after the cutover to the new 310 area code. If it does, it
may be unique in being the only prefix identical to its own area code.
(No reason why not really).

Andy Jacobson<izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu> or <izzyas1@UCLAMVS.bitnet>