[comp.dcom.telecom] Ctrl-A's at Beginning and End of Digest

bill@gauss.eedsp.gatech.edu (06/04/91)

These Ctrl-A's are a result of Pat's NWU host using the MMDF mailer.
MMDF is a MTA (mail transport agent), sometimes used in place of the
bundled Unix 'sendmail' MTA.

I could tell when they switched MTAs on the NWU host because my
"Return-receipt-to:", which is standard in all my off-site mail
headers, no longer sent a return receipt.  MMDF does not support
return-receipt-to.  At least not yet and not as far as I know.

Bill Berbenich   Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill   Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

[Moderator's Note: You are correct about the use of mmdf as the mail
agent at this site. When various messages are kept in a mailbox here,
the control A's are separators between them. You should not usually
see these because they are stripped away. When I remailed those three
issues the other day (mainly because MCI upchucked and dumped the
whole thing several issues in a row) I took copies from my archives
files to retransmit, and forgot to remove the control A's between
them. Although your return-receipt-to does not work here, *most* mail
to telecom@eecs.nwu.edu gets an autoreply from me. There are some
technical reasons why a few of you never get the autoreply.    PAT]

FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Fred E.J. Linton) (06/09/91)

In <telecom11.429.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, the Moderator writes:

> When various messages are kept in a mailbox here,
> the control A's are separators between them.

Good thing I wasn't using the old AT&T 1300 "Video Transaction
Terminal" I started modeming with -- an incoming control A would have
locked the keyboard irretrievably!  [Reminiscence mode on: these were
the little beasts banks like ChemBank of New York and Union Trust of
New Haven were pushing, at about $50.00, for use as Pronto(tm) Home
Banking terminals, with a little help from a (now defunct?) consortium
including ChenBank, AT&T, Time-Life, and an outfit called (I think)
Covidea; not too different from the AT&T 1310 appearing a few years
later as a TDD-compatible 300-baud KSR-modem for the deaf -- er,
hearing-impaired.]

Fred  <flinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>  or  <fejlinton@{att|mci}mail.com>