[comp.dcom.telecom] Service Overlap

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/07/91)

I have recently moved from an apartment to a house half a block away,
on the same (aerial) cable.  When I called TPC to get my phone
changed, they offered to provide service at both locations for a
while.

This works just like an extension phone, as far as I can tell.  It's a
great convenience.  The cost is the same as the cost of having a
second line, so it's not terribly cheap, but for ten days it will only
cost me $5 or so.

They had this all set up within two hours of my call to them.  I was
impressed.

How is this physically done in the CO?  Is it just software in the
switch (mine is a 1AESS)?  What would happen if I picked up phones in
both houses at the same time?  I may try this just to see.

brownK@batman.moravian.edu (Kevin Brown) (06/09/91)

In article <telecom11.431.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu
(Jim Rees) writes:

> I have recently moved from an apartment to a house half a block away,
> on the same (aerial) cable.  When I called TPC to get my phone
> changed, they offered to provide service at both locations for a
> while.

> They had this all set up within two hours of my call to them.  I was

> How is this physically done in the CO?  Is it just software in the
> switch (mine is a 1AESS)?  What would happen if I picked up phones in
> both houses at the same time?  I may try this just to see.

	If they did this within two hours, most likely it was done via
a half tap in the CO.  They took your office equipment (oe) and
connected two cable pairs two it.  One was dedicated to your old
location and the other was dedicated to your new location.  This will
work just like having an extension in your home.  If you pick up a
phone at one house, the other house will have no dial tone.

Kevin Brown  Box 72    Moravian College,  Bethlehem PA 18018
CSNET/INTERNET: brownK@moravian.edu   UUCP: rutgers!liberty!batman!brownK