[comp.dcom.telecom] Emergency Highway Phones

dag@uunet.uu.net> (06/05/91)

A local newscast reported on some interesting highway emergency phones
this morning.  It seems that CalTrans is installing phones throughout
the San Francisco bay area on major highways.  The phones connect you
directly to to highway patrol and in will be spaced as close as a
half-mile apart.  The phones will be installed in pairs, on each side
of the highway, to discourage people from crossing busy roads.

All that is fairly standard, the interesting part is that the phones
are all cellular and run on solar power so no wires are needed to hook
'em up.  The reported said that the phones could be installed in about
twenty minutes.  They are all being paid for by a one dollar surcharge
on vehicle registration. They did not mention which cellular carrier
the phones operate on and whether that company is getting any money.
All bay area counties are getting the phones except SF, Marin and Napa
because voters in those counties turned down the surcharge.

The idea is pretty neat, but it does raise a few interesting
questions. I wonder what kind of security measures are taken. I'm not
to worried about some bad guy over hearing a distress call from an
helpless motorist at four in the morning and getting there before the
cops. I would be interested in whether or not someone could steal the
serial number to one of the phones and reprogram their own phone in
order to make calls at someone else's expense.  It would also be
interesting to see if most of the phones have the same serial number
or if they are all different, and whether or not the phones are smart
enough to send their location to the dispatcher when a call is placed.

Cheers,

darren alex griffiths	(415) 708-3294	  dag@well.sf.ca.us

Brian Kantor <brian@ucsd.edu> (06/08/91)

In article <telecom11.429.6@eecs.nwu.edu> decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!
dag@uunet.uu.net (Darren Alex Griffiths) writes:

> A local newscast reported on some interesting highway emergency phones
> this morning.  It seems that CalTrans is installing phones throughout
> the San Francisco bay area on major highways....

Yes, they are solar-powered cellphones.  When you open the door on the
phone box (a bright yellow weatherproof housing about a cubic foot or
so), the phone autodials the local CHP office on a special hunt group,
downline signals its identification code (which is mapped by a
computer at the CHP office to the location), and then cuts through to
voice so you can speak to the dispatcher or phone attendant, who will
take care of your problem or patch you through to someone who can.

That means that even if you can't make an intelligible noise, they'll
ask the beat patrol unit to stop by and check on a phone that's open,
so it's enough to stagger from the burning wreck, grab the door open,
then faint.

The phones also have other sensors to signal low battery [presumably
solar supply failure], tampering, tilt, or self-check diagnostic
failure.

I'm assuming the ones in SF are the same as the ones we've had here in
SoCal for a couple of years; they're manufactured here and just over
the border in Mexico by a division of Cubic Corp, and checked and
installed by their techs.

I'm told the phone number dialled, ident, and other such things are
burnt into a ROM in the phone controller which also holds the
software; apparently it's designed to make it difficult to use the
phone for any other purpose were you to liberate one from its roadside
loneliness.

[This is from a friend of mine who is a senior field install/repair
tech for these, and has travelled all over the state supervising
installations.  I didn't take notes but I think the previous
description is fairly accurate.]

Brian

brian@uunet.uu.net> (06/08/91)

In article <telecom11.429.6@eecs.nwu.edu> decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!
dag@uunet.uu.net (Darren Alex Griffiths) writes:

> A local newscast reported on some interesting highway emergency phones
> this morning.  It seems that CalTrans is installing phones throughout
> the San Francisco bay area on major highways.  The phones connect you

> All that is fairly standard, the interesting part is that the phones
> are all cellular and run on solar power so no wires are needed to hook
> 'em up.  The reported said that the phones could be installed in about

We have had those here on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway for some
time now.  Pretty neat idea.  As far as I know, the cellular companies
cannot charge for emergency 911 calls.  Whether this applies to
non-911 emergency calls from the phones in question, I don't know.
Even if the local government was required to pay for the calls, it's
nothing like the cost ofinstalling wiring to each location.

brian

David Lemson <lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (06/09/91)

writes:

> A local newscast reported on some interesting highway emergency phones
> this morning.  It seems that CalTrans is installing phones throughout
> the San Francisco bay area on major highways.  The phones connect you

> All that is fairly standard, the interesting part is that the phones
> are all cellular and run on solar power so no wires are needed to hook
> 'em up.  The reported said that the phones could be installed in about

Are you sure they're cellular?  We have those along I-270 between St.
Louis, MO and Collinsville, IL, and I believe they are either VHF or
UHF, judging by the antennas.  It's easier to build a lower-power-
requiring radio that's VHF than Cellular!  Also, these types of radios
would be cheaper to operate, I'm sure (since you "cut out the middleman"
by not using a cellular carrier).

Also, I've seen these types of radios in Israel, where it's not
surprising to see solar-powered utilities on the sides of the road.
The radios there all have a little "Motorola" flag on them ... free
advertising, which must have them gotten a break on the price of the
phones.

David Lemson   University of Illinois Computing Services Consultant
Internet : lemson@uiuc.edu         UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (06/10/91)

In article <telecom11.429.6@eecs.nwu.edu> decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!
dag@uunet.uu.net (Darren Alex Griffiths) writes:

> It seems that CalTrans is installing phones throughout
> the San Francisco bay area on major highways.  The phones connect you
> directly to to highway patrol and in will be spaced as close as a
> half-mile apart.  The phones will be installed in pairs, on each side
> of the highway ... the phones are all cellular and run on solar power.

> They are all being paid for by a one dollar surcharge on vehicle
> registration.

The same type has recently sprouted along US 101 throughout Santa
Barbara County. I *think* the Maricopa Highway (Santa Maria to
Bakersfield) is getting them too. I seem to recall that GTE Mobilnet
was mentioned when the paper wrote about them three months ago.

> ... I would be interested in whether or not someone could steal the
> serial number to one of the phones and reprogram their own phone in
> order to make calls at someone else's expense.  It would also be
> interesting to see if most of the phones have the same serial number
> or if they are all different, and whether or not the phones are smart
> enough to send their location to the dispatcher when a call is placed.

I would expect that the ESN is programmed to connect DIRECTLY to CHP;
i.e. if you steal the ESN, you can make free calls but only to the
police. If the calls are routed through the E911 system, it would make
sense to supply location info, but I did not see any mention of this
in the article.

On a separate note, GTE has just this week-end converted my exchange
from a 2EAX (?) to a new shiny 5ESS. I tried to ask if they will be
offering ISDN soon, but could not find anyone who knew.

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer    CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

irvin@lombard.dartmouth.edu (06/10/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #429, Darren Alex Griffiths writes:

> The idea is pretty neat, but it does raise a few interesting
> questions. I wonder what kind of security measures are taken. I'm not
> to worried about some bad guy over hearing a distress call from an
> helpless motorist at four in the morning and getting there before the
> cops.

Actually, this could be QUITE dangereous.  The motorists could be in
danger of having a rapist, mugger, etc. over hear the conversation and
dash to the site ahead of the cops (I doubt it would much of a feat to
beat the cops to the scene).  With the number of murders, robberies,
etc. that happen to stranded moterists on Interstates, I think this is
a serious concern.

Tim Irvin

shibumi@uunet.uu.net> (06/11/91)

In Northern California, some of the new phones are outside the main
cell areas.  Specifically, there are some on Highway One north of
Santa Cruz and some on I-580 in the hills between Oakland and
Pleasanton.  On those phones, they change the usual cell phone
antennas for yagis.  Most of the yagis on the Santa Cruz units point
dead south towards Monterey.

As to security, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The usual
roadside robbery scam is to put a woman in apparent distress on a
deserted road, to encourage concerned motorists to stop.  When someone
stops and approachs the car, the woman's compatriots appear and
relieve the good samaritian of his or her valuables.  This scam
doesn't appear too often, since one report is usually enough to get
the local highway patrol or state police to pay more attention.

Kenton A. Hoover             Chief Engineer |         shibumi@well.sf.ca.us
Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link +1 415 332 4335 | shibumi%kc6sst@w6rfn.ampr.org