[net.news.group] Don't rename net.columbia

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/02/86)

In article <4911@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>I think that the newsgroup for discussing space flight
>should be named after one of its most spectacular successes,
>rather than one of its most spectacular disasters.

But until Tuesday, the Challenger *was* one of its most spectacular
successes.  Perhaps a eulogy to the shuttle in addition to its crew
is in order.  I can only hope for one more belated and grim success,
namely a renewed interest and commitment, both moral and financial,
by our government and our people in the space program.

One more vote for net.challenger.  Or maybe net.challenger.7?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/03/86)

> But until Tuesday, the Challenger *was* one of its most spectacular
> successes.  Perhaps a eulogy to the shuttle in addition to its crew
> is in order.  I can only hope for one more belated and grim success,
> namely a renewed interest and commitment, both moral and financial,
> by our government and our people in the space program.

> One more vote for net.challenger.  Or maybe net.challenger.7?

Do you propose renaming the newsgroup again if another shuttle
goes up in flames?

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/04/86)

Thinking logically, the newsgroup should be called net.shuttle,
or net.space.shuttle.  Net.columbia and net.challenger do not
adequately describe the contents of the newsgroup.  Or should we have
net.benz (instead of net.auto), net.k&r (instead of net.lang.c) and so
on?  Let's stick to names that describe the newsgroups.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979