[comp.dcom.telecom] One-Stop Bell Shop

Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@denwa.info.com> (06/12/91)

In the latest issue of Bell of Pennsylvania's {Centrex Update}, I read:

  "On January 1, 1991, Bell Atlantic announced the integration of
  the sales forces of the Bell Atlantic Telephone Company and
  Bell Atlanticom Systems, Inc., our Customer Premises Equipment
  Company.  By combining these sales forces, business customers
  now have a single source for network services and equipment
  needs..."

And sure enough, this newsletter is hawking the sales of a certain key
telephone system marketed as "a power packed Centrex enhancement."

Umm, can they do this?  Wasn't the MFJ executed to prevent this sort
of thing?  Now maybe I could understand it if this newsletter came
from some unregulated side of Bell Atlantic.  But it doesn't.  This is
direct from Bell of Pennsylvania.

This sure doesn't seem fair.

Syd Weinstein <syd@dsi.com> (06/12/91)

Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@denwa.info.com> writes:

> "On January 1, 1991, Bell Atlantic announced the integration of
> the sales forces of the Bell Atlantic Telephone Company and
> Bell Atlanticom Systems, Inc., our Customer Premises Equipment
> Company.
> Umm, can they do this?

They can do this re the ruling and questionaire they set out.  All
customers were required to fill out a questionaire, re allowing:

a. all Sales Droids access to your records
b. Only Bell Sales Droids access to your records
c. No Sales Droids access to your records.

If you choose C, the default choice if you didn't respond, then your
account is assigned to a 'special' business office that can handle
only the old telco stuff and no sales stuff.  (ie the number in the
phone book no longer works for you, you get, "I am sorry, I cannot
access your records, you will have to call 800 xxx-xxxx to get a rep
that can access your records."

Thus, what they really did, was assign all customers that choose a or
b to Bell-Atlanticom Systems, Inc. as their sales droids, as they can
have access to the records.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP    Elm Coordinator
Datacomp Systems, Inc.           Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd         FAX:   (215) 938-0235