[comp.dcom.telecom] Telco-Provided Voicemail Systems

Sean Williams <0004715238@mcimail.com> (06/14/91)

The Moderator writes:

> One of the nicest features of telco-operated voice mail is the stutter
> dialtone which advises the subscriber of new messages waiting.

United Telephone provides a voicemail service called "MessageLine".
When I ordered my service, I asked about the ability of the system to
notify me of new messages.  Stutter dialtone is not provided by
United, so they programmed the MessageLine to call my house whenever I
receive a message.  The phone rings three times whenever I receive a
message. (This could also be programmed to call your pager, or
cellphone, etc., so long as the call is local.)  And yes, the
outdial/paging feature can be toggled on/off by calling your mailbox
and entering a two-digit command.

It was confusing to the rest of my family, however, to receive calls
which had no real caller on the other side (ie: the voicemail doesn't
talk when it calls the house.) so I set up a distinctive ringing
number and had the voicemail reprogrammed to call it.  Everyone is
happy now, so long as I turn off the paging feature at night ...

> Also, telco *could* now provide 'programmable forward on busy / no answer'
> if they wanted to. Ameritech Mobile....allows me to toggle 'forward on
> busy / no answer' as I wish; AND program it to any number, anywhere, but
> Illinois Bell (my hardwired service) insists that this feature can
> only be programmed in the CO on a work order...

United Telephone's "Call-Forward/Busy" and "Call-Forward/No Answer"
are two separate services, individually billed.  I can turn on one,
the other, or both.  (It's sort of dumb to turn on both of them,
though, because the way it's programmed "Call-Forward/Busy" overrides
"Call-Forward/No answer" if they're both on at the same time.  You can
use only one at a time.)

Incidentally, Rochester Telephone provides the service you describe
above.  Destination numbers for both Call-Forward/Busy and
Call-Forward/No Answer can be changed at any time, and you can also
change the number of rings Call-Forward/No Answer waits for before
forwarding the caller.

Sean E. Williams			  | seanwilliams@mcimail.com
Spectrum Telecommunications		  | "I own Spectrum, so I'm
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227	  | really speaking for myself!"
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA		  | voicemail: +1 717 957 8127