[comp.dcom.telecom] Military Telecom Museum Well Worth a Visit

Nigel Allen <Nigel.Allen@f438.n250.z1.fidonet.org> (06/11/91)

If you have an interest in the history of military telecommunications,
you qmay want to visit the Canadian Forces Communications and
Electronics Museum (formerly the Royal Canadian Signals Museum) at the
Vimy Barracks in Kingston, Ontario.

Summer hours are 10 am - 4 pm daily; during the rest of the year the
hours are 8 am to 4 pm Monday to Friday.  The phone number is
613-541-5395, and the mailing address is:

  Canadian Forces Communicatons and Electronics Museum
  Vimy Barracks
  CFB Kingston
  Kingston, Ontario
  Canada  K7K 5L0

The following information is taken from a museum brochure. I haven't
visited the museum yet, and I have no affiliation with the Canadian
military.

The Royal Canadian Signals Museum was founded in December, 1961 as an
archive for history of signalling. In November, 1976 the name was
changed to The Canadian Forces Communications and Electronics Museum.
Today the Museum has a mandate to display the history of the Canadian
Forces Communications and Electronics Branch and all aspects of military
communications.

Displays range from satellites and modern technology to primitive
early radios and momentos recording the many trials and accomplishments
of those who wear the "Jimmy" (the Corps of Signals badge, which
depicts the Greek god Mercury).

This museum is maintained by military personnel of the Canadian Forces
School of Communications and Electronics and by many friends of the
Museum, both civilian and miliary. The displays will be of interest to
all who visit Kingston and would like to take a pleasant strol through
history. Perchance a photo will show the face of a friend or relative.

While in Kingston be sure to visit the Museum and any of the fifteen
museums and galleries open to the public.  Brochures and additional
information are available on request.

(description of rooms within the museum)

Air Force Room. Records the contribution of the Royal Canadian Air
Force.  Items from Clinton, radar statons and airfields.

Burtt Room. Line displays in Line Training Building B-15.

World War I Room.  Items depicting the efforts of the Signalmen of
1914-18.  Items include a switchboard dugout and the original model
for the Vimy Ridge Memorial.

The Corps Room. Momentos of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals,
including Ermintrude, the Corps' Mascot of the 19330's.

Early Classroom.  Visit an early classroom which depicts lige in
1920's Camp Borden, the original home of the Signal Corps.

Between the Wars.  See the early efforts in mobile radio detachments
and the "Alberta" radio station.

World War II Room.  Pictures and items tell the story of the war.  See
the suitcase radio and intercept equipment used by the "Intrepid" men,
1945 German surrender documents and equipment used right up to 1970.

Museum Kit Shop.  Also the Curator's office. Many Branch and gift
items available.

Telecommunications.  Items range from one of the best telephone
colections in the world to cable layers and radioteletype.

Main Entrance.  Display cases show equipment used and special items of
Major Bruce Carruthers, a founder of the Canadian Signal Corps.

Uniform Room.  Many orders of dress. Pictures of early Signal Corps
basic training troops and Apprentice soldiers.

Satellites.  The Canadian involvement.

Northwest Territories and Yukon Room.  Canada's original communications
in the north provided by the military. An account of the "Mad Trapper
of Rat River" by one who was present and many station logs.

Supplementary Radio System. The military communications research
effort since the 1930's.

German Room. Items captured in two wars. See the flags that flew on
England's doorstep for four years.

UN and NATO. Canada's efforts to promote world peace and to fight
aggression.  Items from the Congo, Egypt, Korea, Cyprus, Vietnam and
Iran.

US Signal Corps.  Items that were presented by our colleagues to the
south.

Technology Hall.  Demonstrating milestones in military communication
this display area is always in a state of change.

The Book of Remembrance. Located at the Main Entrance to the Building.

Also radar antennas, in McNaughton Barracks these Pinetree - Cadin
Line items are adjacent to the proposed new site for the Museum.

Directions: Follow Highway 2 east for one mile from Kingston to the
Vimy Gate.  Turn right at the gate and follow the signs to the rear of
the Forde Building.

bill@baldric.eedsp.gatech.edu (06/12/91)

The U.S. Army Signal Corps operates a very respectable museum at their
Signal Center at Fort Gordon, Georgia.  Fort Gordon is on the
outskirts of Augusta, home of the Masters (golf) Tournament.

I checked the museum out when I was at Fort Gordon, going to school
for the Navy.  That was back in 1982 and it was a big hit back then.
I'll have to drop by there again, next time I make it to that part of
the state.

Civilians are allowed (even encouraged) onto the base and the Signal
Corps Museum.  Just ask at the gate.  It should make for an hour or
two of fun!

Bill Berbenich, School of EE, DSP Lab   |  Telephone:   +1-404-894-3134
Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332    |
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill |  Group 3 fax: +1-404-894-8363
Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu         |           or: +1-404-853-9171

gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us (06/13/91)

Nigel.Allen@f438.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Nigel Allen) writes:

> If you have an interest in the history of military telecommunications,
> you may want to visit the Canadian Forces Communications and
> Electronics Museum (formerly the Royal Canadian Signals Museum) at the
> Vimy Barracks in Kingston, Ontario.

I went there last summer; it's small and low-budget but worth a visit
if you're in the area.  While "one of the best telephone collections
in the world" may be an exaggeration, they do have some interesting
ones, including a set with an 11-hole dial (separate holes for 0 and
operator, even though both send 10 pulses).  Thye also have a British
phone booth, complete with A and B button phone.  (But without any of
the information and instruction cards, unfortunately).

Steve Gaarder   gaarder@theory.tc.cornell.edu  gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us

Dave Leibold <Dave.Leibold@f135.n82.z89.onebdos.UUCP> (06/15/91)

bill@eedsp.gatech.edu sez....

>  The U.S. Army Signal Corps operates a very respectable museum at their
>  Signal Center at Fort Gordon, Georgia.  Fort Gordon is on the
>  outskirts of Augusta, home of the Masters (golf) Tournament.

Plus Nigel Allen's previous mention of a Canadian military museum with
communications goodies...

There has also been a telephone museum in downtown Edmonton run by
Alberta Government Telephones (AGT, changing its corporate name to
Telus) called "Vista 33", named after the floor in the AGT Tower where
the museum/exhibits are located. Last I checked there was an admission
charge to go up there.

I don't have the specific address of the AGT Tower offhand; Vista 33
is usually mentioned in Alberta phone books, or it can be determined
from Alberta Government Telephones' listings in Edmonton.

While at the AGT Tower, AGT's library is on the 23rd floor, and
contains some interesting telecom books and that. You could call it
"Vista 23", assuming they haven't changed floors in recent months.

dleibold@attmail.com
Dave Leibold - via IMEx node 89:681/1
Dave.Leibold@f135.n82.z89.onebdos.UUCP