[comp.dcom.telecom] Re^2: Looking for Inexpensive Outside Wire

merv@eecs.nwu.edu> (06/15/91)

mitel!Software!meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) writes:

> In article <telecom11.450.7@eecs.nwu.edu> mailrus!ulowell!wex@uunet.
> uu.net writes:

> [recommendation for using garden hose as conduit]

> I tried this, in an attempt to save some money on the special (thicker
> sheath) direct burial cable.

> It turned out that I was unable to pull the wire more than about 25
> feet before it started to bind against the hose.  Since I had already
> bought the hose, I ended up splitting the hose the full length,
> inserting the wire, and then taping the hose together again.

> It was really false economy.  Next time, I would get the true
> direct-burial cable.

I'm sorry I didn't see the start of this thread, but if we're talking
about low voltage circuits:

I used a 1 (or was it 1.25)inch , black, polyethylene, flexible water
pipe.  It was cheap enough and has a nice smooth inner bore for
pulling cables.  I used about 125 feet between the house and shop for
LV control, phone and intercom cables.

Originally blew a nylon cord through the pipe (old vacuum cleaner
connected backwards trick) for a pull line and always pull a new cord
with each new cable I pull.  Works great.

Merv Graham                 |     gpstwr!merv@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com
Graham-Patten Systems, Inc. | or: tektronix!gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com!gpstwr!merv
P.O. Box 1960               |
Grass Valley, CA 95945      | Ph: 916-273-8412   FAX: 916-273-7458