[comp.dcom.telecom] Street Address Wanted For 619/259 CO

Rick Farris <rfarris@rfengr.com> (06/09/91)

I may be moving my office soon, and because I entertain fantasies of
my own leased line connection to the Internet, I'd like to move right
next door to my CO.

Easier said than done.

I live in a small (5k) suburb of San Diego, and I *know* that I have a
CO inside the town limits.  I even know it's a 1AESS. (619/259) For
some reason or other, TPC considers the physical location of its
plants to be some kind of top secret information -- probably so that
saboteurs won't come ashore and blow them up.

I used to think I knew approximately where the CO was, but there's
been a fair amount of building in the last five years, and the other
day when I went to hunt it down (after the business office wouldn't
tell me where it is) I couldn't find it.

I tried following lines, but Del Mar is about half underground and
half above ground, so everytime I thought the wires looked like they
were getting fat, they would dive underground.  Not only that, people
were looking at me funny as I drove my motorcycle down the street
gazing into the sky.  After the third near miss I decided to call it a
day.

So, is there some physical clue (besides fat wires) that I could look
for?  I know to look for short fat brick buildings.  Anything else?
Does someone archive addresses of CO's?

Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

[Moderator's Note: And wouldn't it be a pity if after all the time you
spent looking you found there was no space available for rent anywhere
within a close distance, or the rent was too high, etc.  :)   PAT]

Syd Weinstein <syd@dsi.com> (06/12/91)

Rick Farris <rfarris@rfengr.com> writes:

> I may be moving my office soon, and because I entertain fantasies of
> my own leased line connection to the Internet, I'd like to move right
> next door to my CO.

Doing so may not save you very much.  You'd have to not only move next
to the CO, but next to the POP for your local Internet carrier.

The leased lines used by the TCP/IP vendors are charged on a
termination plus milage basis from the POP to your site.  Generally
there is only one POP for the TCP/IP network in your area.  And the
termination charges far outweigh the milage charge.  You won't save
much...

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Jim.Redelfs@uunet.uu.net> (06/14/91)

Rick Farris wrote:

[Trying to locate his local Central Office building - to no avail]

Stop a phone truck and ask the driver.  They all know where they are.

In Omaha, I wouldn't have any "problem" telling someone where the CO
is.  In fact, to impress a customer with how FAR their line runs to
the CO, I frequently tell them WHERE the CO is!

"My" CO is located on the main highway through Elkhorn (Omaha CDO) and
is clearly marked with a large Bell logo.  Occasionally, a local
customer will knock on the door in the morning, while I'm in there
wiring on the MDF, and report their trouble directly to me!

Ahhhhh!  SmallTown PhoneMan.  I love it!

JR
   Tabby 2.2
   MacNetOmaha(402)289-2899 Multitasking w/MacOrphans (1:285/14)

Macy Hallock <macy@fmsys.uucp> (06/15/91)

In article <telecom11.448.9@eecs.nwu.edu>:

> I may be moving my office soon, and because I entertain fantasies of
> my own leased line connection to the Internet, I'd like to move right
> next door to my CO.

Comment: In most areas, the rate you pay for a circuit will not be
reduced by living next to the CO.  In some areas, circuits are costed
by the length, but usually that's only between CO's, and the local end
of the circuit is at a flat rate.  I'll say that I'm not familiar with
CA tarriffs, but I've done my share of work with AT&T facilities.

Now, living next to the CO may have other advantages:

- The phone company is far less likely to delay the circuit due to
  unavailable local facilities.

- Transmission problems due to poor local loop design may be less
  likely.

- Finding a CO repairman may be easier (just provide the coffee...)

- Reliablility may be better, since there is no local loop to go
  bad...

I don't think you are going to save much money, though.  In fact, you
might even have to reduce the levels on your modem due to abnormally
high loop current and 0db loss to the CO!  I've had to modify several
telephone systems and a couple of modems to increase loss when they
were within a couple of blocks of the CO.

> I live in a small (5k) suburb of San Diego, and I *know* that I have a
> CO inside the town limits.  I even know it's a 1AESS. (619/259) For
> some reason or other, TPC considers the physical location of its
> plants to be some kind of top secret information -- probably so that
> saboteurs won't come ashore and blow them up.

Could be.  In Ohio, the PUCO requires exchange area maps to be
published as part of the telco's tariff.  Inspection of these is as
simple as going to a telco business office and asking ... it is required
by the PUCO to be publicly available.  Many libraries have tariff
info also.

But ... there's a hitch!  I have found several exchange areas in which
the telco has consolidated two central offices into one ... and the
maps still show the old CO's!  I asked the PUCO what the story was ...
and was told that these consolidations were done at telco discretion,
so the CO's still existed at their old location for rate/area
purposes.  The telco would eventually have to file for permission to
redefine the CO locations for ratemaking purposes, but that was
generally done only when the tariff was to be given a major overhaul
 ... about every ten years or more.

> I used to think I knew approximately where the CO was, but there's
> been a fair amount of building in the last five years, and the other
> day when I went to hunt it down (after the business office wouldn't
> tell me where it is) I couldn't find it.

Look for brick buildings, kinda square, usually one story, with no
windows ... the older buldings for SxS were usually two or three story
in larger areas and did have windows ... these were usually in downtown
areas .... or ask a craftsman.

> Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
> rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

Well, there's the problem ... Rick's a radio person and just cannot
understand the world of 600 pair cables and ten mile long copper loops!
He must think all those wires on the poles are just HF antennas! [grin]

Macy M Hallock Jr N8OBG 216.725.4764 macy@fmsystm.uucp macy@fmsystm.ncoast.org
[No disclaimer, but I have no real idea what I'm saying or why I'm telling you]