[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Keypad for Alphanumerics

Bernie Roehl <broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu> (06/14/91)

I'm working on a project in which touch-tone users will have to enter
names, addresses and so on.

Is there a standard way of encoding these?  (One scheme that pops to
mind would be "key,position" (for L you would type 53 since 'L' is on
the 5 key in the third position).

Please respond by email as I'm not a regular reader of comp.dcom.telecom;
I'll post a summary to the net of whatever I receive.

Thanks in advance...

	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca
	BangPath: {allegra,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!sunee!broehl
	Voice:  (519) 885-1211 x 2607 [work]

"Patton M. Turner" <pturner@eng.auburn.edu> (06/16/91)

Bernie Roehl <broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu> writes:

> I'm working on a project in which touch-tone users will have to enter
> names, addresses and so on.

> Is there a standard way of encoding these?  (One scheme that pops to
> mind would be "key,position" (for L you would type 53 since 'L' is on
> the 5 key in the third position).

A standard code (cipher?) is for a 0 to represent the first letter on
the key and a 1 to represent the last letter on the key.  The absence
of a 0 or 1 represents the middle letter on the key.  The next number
is the number of the key.  This works for all letter except Q and Z.
Prehaps thay can be represented by 00 and 11.

Patton Turner    KB4GRZ     pturner@eng.auburn.edu