[comp.dcom.telecom] Voice-Mail Addition to PBX

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (06/17/91)

In article <telecom11.437.2@eecs.nwu.edu>,  Bob_Frankston%Slate_
Corporation@mcimail.com (Bob Frankston) writes:

> The issue of protocols raises its ugly head.

> Pac*Bell is able to provide some compelling features because it owns
> the network...

> [Moderator's Note: One of the nicest features of telco-operated voice
> mail is the stutter dialtone which advises the subscriber of new
> messages waiting. It should not be that hard for telco to provide this
> to the competitors:...

A few years ago, I developed a voice-mail add-on for a PBX.  Our
machine interfaced with the host PBX over nothing more than a
Tip/Ring station line.  A feature-addition to the PBX created a
station class-of-service for this purpose.  The protocol?  Very
simple:  The PBX would forward calls to one of our station lines if
the called station was busy or did not answer.

When we went off-hook, the PBX would send us DTMF, telling us who was
calling, who was being called, and why we got the call.  After taking
a message, we could go off-hook on one of our special lines, and enter
a sequence of DTMF digits which caused the PBX to light the 'message
waiting' indicator on a station, or to enable 'stutter tone' if the
station was not equipped with a visual indicator.  Our voice mail
package would work fine with any CO or PBX capable of providing a
similar feature set!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857