[comp.dcom.telecom] Tokyo Moving to Eight Digit Phone Numbers

Jiro Nakamura <jiro@shaman.com> (06/15/91)

Hi -

Has anyone noticed that Tokyo is now fully converted to eight digit
numbers? I recently phoned a friend in Japan (I'm in Ithaca) at +81 3
701-xxxx and got a hurried message that the number was now +81 3 3
701-xxxx.

It wasn't until I phoned him up that I realized that the area code for
Tokyo had not switched to 33 (my immediate assumption) but that all
the old seven digit numbers in Tokyo now had a 3 prepended to them:
+81 3 3701-xxxx.

As you all know, since about last year, all new numbers in Tokyo have
been eight digits with a 5 in front of them:  +81 3 5xxx-xxxx.

But I didn't know that they had switched to all eight digits now.

Jiro Nakamura	 jiro@shaman.com    Shaman Consulting
(607) 256-5125 VOICE          (607) 277-1440 FAX/Data

trebor@uunet.uu.net> (06/17/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

> Has anyone noticed that Tokyo is now fully converted to eight digit
> numbers? I recently phoned a friend in Japan (I'm in Ithaca) at +81 3
> 701-xxxx and got a hurried message that the number was now +81 3 3
> 701-xxxx.

The big "Year of the Sheep, Night of the Telecom Wolves" changeover
occurred at 2am, Jan 1, 1991.  All the old seven digit numbers got a 3
prepended to them.  The "area code" is still 03.

Estimates vary widely, but some pundits claim that the cost to the
Japanese economy caused by the switchover (reprogramming autodialers,
fax machines and the like, plus a 14% increase in the number of phone
buttons pushed in the Tokyo area [which means 14% more buttons
breaking, etc ..]) is in the trillions of yen, and may yet cause major
damage to the Japanese economy.

Planners at the phone company here are already preparing for the
upcoming switchover to nine-digit local numbers, expected to occur
Tuesday next... ;^)

Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs.   trebor@foretune.co.jp